UNICEF International Council
Driving impact for children through philanthropic investment.
The UNICEF International Council is a unique community of over 135 private philanthropists and partners – many from the world’s leading business families and global influencers – who want to optimize their philanthropic investments for children by bringing together their funding, leadership and expertise.
Through one united voice, Council members express their commitment to the purpose and values of the International Council.
Read the International Council Manifesto
135+ global members
$510M+ in support of children
As a select and motivated group of donors, Council members combine their resources to make a more equitable world for children and help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. The Council focuses on:
- Making UNICEF more impactful by leveraging members’ funding, perspectives and networks
- Attracting untapped resources by advocating for UNICEF and showcasing its work
- Helping UNICEF direct the world’s focus to children by empowering the next generation and amplifying their voices
Formed in 2017, the Council offers a global stage to inspire, engage and collaborate with those working for children’s rights. Members’ diverse backgrounds, languages, cultures and ethnicities enrich the Council’s work, carried out through an annual symposium along with thematic working groups and other engagement opportunities.
"I think of it as collective investment and collective impact. Together, we have so much power. We inspire each other. We learn from each other. We exchange ideas. And not only that, but we work together with UNICEF staff and senior leadership. The Council gives a platform where we can be the best versions of ourselves."
-Mrs. Maria Ahlström-Bondestam, Chair of the International Council for Financial Times
"Education is an investment that pays dividends for a lifetime."
- H.E. Abdul Aziz Al Ghurair on how education is the key to unlocking the potential for individuals to find their path to a better life.
"The greatest contribution philanthropists can make is to get children learning again to help secure their future."
-UNICEF International Council Member Aziz Khan
Becoming a member
Council membership is open to donors who have made significant investments in UNICEF programmes. For more information, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership to the Council offers opportunities to:
- Fulfil individual philanthropic objectives while achieving impact on a global scale
- Be part of a global community of like-minded business leaders and philanthropists uniting to bring innovative solutions to global issues
- Have a seat at the table with UNICEF leadership and other global leaders
- Gain exclusive insights into UNICEF’s work and learn more about its strategic programming, as well as the wider humanitarian and development context
- Visit UNICEF programmes across the world
- Attend global UNICEF events and speak on members’ philanthropic impact
- Engage members' children in the Youth Forum, which helps them explore the world from different perspectives and build future solutions together
The Council’s collective expertise delivers higher impact at scale for children. Council members are swift to mobilize resources for children in emergencies. They unify their voices to advocate for philanthropic action, and join UNICEF as shrewd strategic partners in helping to shape the UNICEF Strategic Plan and help achieve the SDGs for children.