UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador since 2013
"UNICEF works to ensure that every child, urban or rural, rich or poor, has a chance to thrive, to grow and to contribute to their families and communities – as well as to have the opportunity to shape the world that we live in."
Katy Perry is one of the bestselling musical artists of all time. Her albums have sold more than 43 million copies worldwide, and her songs have been streamed more than 30 billion times. She was the first person to surpass 100 million followers on Twitter.
In 2013, Katy was appointed UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for her commitment to improving the lives of children. From travelling to Vietnam and Madagascar to highlight the needs of some of the world’s most vulnerable, to raising awareness of UNICEF’s emergency relief efforts, Katy has used her voice to advocate for children across the globe. In 2016, she was honoured with UNICEF’s Audrey Hepburn Humanitarian Award.
Katy has also been a champion for LGBTQ+ equality and has received numerous awards for her work, including the Trevor Project's Hero Award in 2012, the Human Rights Campaign's National Equality Award in 2017, and amfAR’s Award of Courage in 2018.
Katy Perry's activity with UNICEF
Katy and fellow UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Orlando Bloom welcomed their child Daisy Dove Bloom to the world. They announced the birth and released the first image of their family via UNICEF’s Instagram account, encouraging donations to UNICEF to ensure every mother and newborn get the care they need.
- The United States Fund for UNICEF presented Katy with the Audrey Hepburn Humanitarian Award at the annual UNICEF Snowflake Ball to honour her extraordinary commitment to children.
- Katy joined other UNICEF Goodwill Ambassadors and global influencers in contributing to the “World Version” of John Lennon’s Imagine.
- Katy travelled with UNICEF to rural Ninh Thuan Province in Vietnam, using her star power to draw attention to children in one of Asia’s poorest regions.
- Katy made a special stopover to Ho Chi Minh City, where she gave the keynote speech at Forbes Viet Nam’s first-ever Under 30 Summit. She also moderated a discussion with young professionals working to make a difference for children.
- Katy was appointed as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador. To commemorate the occasion, UNICEF produced a video showing her at work – and at play – with children around the world.
- Katy visited a child protection centre in Madagascar, where she met with abused and abandoned children and young mothers.