Консултант в областта на допълващата и алтернативна комуникация
Краен срок за кандидатстване: 14 февруари 2021
Job no: 537769
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Child Protection, Communication for Development (C4D), Communication / External Relations, NO-1, Early Childhood Development
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, childhood.
The Consultant will support the implementation of the following key project activities under Component 3:
- Strengthening the capacities of 30 kindergartens for the provision of quality inclusive pre-school education in the districts of Burgas, Sliven and Stara Zagora with a focus on non-verbal children and introduction of alternative and augmentative communication;
- Enhancing the capacities of the Regional Centers for Supporting the Process of Inclusive Education and other relevant stakeholders at municipal and regional level for supporting the provision of inclusive pre-school education services in three districts – Burgas, Sliven and Stara Zagora with a focus on non-verbal children and introduction of alternative and augmentative communication.
How can you make a difference?
- Support the design and the analysis of the results of a needs assessment that targets teachers and aims to assess their knowledge, practices and attitudes with respect to alternative and augmentative communication;
- Support and coordinate the implementation of the above needs assessment by developing a questionnaire, support the data gathering and analysis in collaboration with other staff involved in the coordination of the training programme for kindergartens under the project;
- Support the adaptation of UNICEF ECARO training package on alternative and augmentative communication;
- Support the process of customization of global open-source symbol sets and the development of symbol sets for Bulgaria;
- Support the delivery of online or face-to-face training sessions on alternative and augmentative communication, based on UNICEF training package, for professionals working with children, primarily from the Regional centers for supporting the process of inclusive education;
- Support UNICEF’s public awareness and advocacy activities aiming to promote inclusive early education in kindergartens, as well as in communication and visibility activities with a focus on alternative and augmentative communication.
- Participate in relevant meetings, workshops, seminars as needed;
- Others as agreed with UNICEF office.
Full details of the consultancy are available here: ToR_AAC Consultant.pdf
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV and a Cover Letter in English indicating their all-inclusive daily fee in Bulgarian leva.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree in one or more of the following fields: psychology, special education, pre-school education, speech therapy, etc.
- Sound expertise and professional experience in the area of inclusive education with a focus on alternative and augmentative communication for children with disabilities and special needs;
- Extensive knowledge on availability and application of symbol systems, symbol sets, board builders and other alternative and augmentative communication tools for children with disabilities and special needs;
- Professional experience in design and provision of trainings for teachers and specialists on inclusive education, incl. on alternative and augmentative communication;
- Good command of Internet browsers and web-based tools such as web-based trainings.
- Excellent management, organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure; good negotiation and presentation skills; pro-activity and strong orientation towards results;
- Ability to manage partnerships across diversity of stakeholders;
- Respect for cultural diversity and human rights;
- Excellent oral and written command of Bulgarian and English.
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: 28 Jan 2021 FLE Standard Time
Deadline: 14 Feb 2021 FLE Standard Time