Results for children - 2019
What we achieved for children with the help of our donors
Thanks to our donors' support, in 2019 we continued to achieve important results for children, helping them realise the rights enshrined in the Child Rights Convention.
Below are highlighted some of the most significant programmes and activities implemented for children. You can find a complete Report on 2019 Activities here.
Support for children with disabilities
- We initiated the “Communication for Every Child” programme and involved 24 Croatian organisations. Training was provided for experts – speech therapists, rehabilitation educators and occupational therapists.
- Every child with complex communication needs will be given free access to a specialised communication application. A hundred tablet computers are provided for the children to use, and the total value of this investment is HRK 1,297,536.
Together for the youngest children
- The first Human Milk Bank in Croatia was established, making human milk available to prematurely born and severely ill babies. UNICEF provided all the necessary equipment for the Human Milk Bank and the Lactation Centre, and ensured training for staff. The total value of this investment is HRK 3.4 million.
- We invested HRK 1,078,924 in acquiring modern phototherapy equipment for 20 maternity wards across the country, enabling more effective treatment of newborns with jaundice.
Colostrum and mother's milk mean everything to children like Marija - food, medicine and love.
Investing in a stronger family
- We donated a total of HRK 900,000 in financial support to foster families who provide a home for 180 boys and girls.
- As part of the “Every Child Needs a Family” campaign, 70 events promoting foster care were organised in 18 towns and cities across Croatia, and education for foster parents was provided.
- To support parents in the social care system, we initiated the “Growing Up Together, Count Us In” workshops and invested HRK 200,000 to provide equipment for 12 family centres and social care centres.
I am proud because I can see that I am changing as a person and as a parent, and my child is changing, too.
Protecting children and young people
- As part of the “Unbroken Ties” programme, we procured equipment for video-calls in 13 penitentiaries and prisons, used by about 800 children throughout 2019. In 7 penitentiaries and prisons rooms for child visits were refurbished to be better suited for children visiting parents in prison. The investment in the programme is HRK 649,000.
Children of Croatia for children in Africa
- A total of 85,344 children and young people from 202 locations in Croatia took part in the “Schools for Africa” programme. They raised HRK 364,366 for the education of boys and girls in Burkina Faso and Madagascar.
Solidarity with children across the world
- A total of HRK 1,656,730 was raised to help children in Yemen, a country where nearly all children need humanitarian aid due to years of conflict.
- The Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs invested HRK 1,480,000 in building five inclusive playgrounds in refugee camps in Jordan that can accommodate children with developmental difficulties and disabilities.
Voices of children and youth
- Over 13,000 children and young people from across the country participated in the second Media Literacy Days. Educational materials developed for educators and teachers working with children, young people and their parents were downloaded 72,000 times from the medijskapismenost.hr website.
I think workshops like this teach us how to recognise fake news.