120 wheelchairs with school bags, one call for children with disabilities
120 wheelchairs with schoolbags laid at Skenderbeu Boulevard to call for greater inclusion of children with disabilities
Prishtina, 17 May 2020 - As we gradually return to normalcy from covid19, UNICEF in Kosovo is calling for greater attention for protection of children with disabilities so that they are not left in quarantine for the rest of their lives. The installation, which will run from 17th to 25th of May is a call to decision makers, civil society, media and private sector for greater inclusion of children living with disabilities.
Murat Sahin, Head of UNICEF Kosovo Office highlights "Under the Convention on the Rights of the Child, all children, without difference, have equal rights. It is our role to help them reach their full potential. It is our moral, legal and human obligation."
The isolation and social distancing that we are all experiencing in time of covid19 pandemic, is what children with disabilities go through their entire life. As Kosovo gradually returns to normalcy from Covid19, it is critical for society to help end isolation of children with disabilities for good. A resilient, new and better normal for an inclusion society for all.
UNICEF Kosovo Office through this installation is urging for:
- Adaptation of inclusive teaching practices to meet needs of children with disabilities
- Allocation of adequate number of teacher assistants for children with disabilities in preschools and schools.
- Allocation of adequate budgets for free transportation of children with disabilities to preschools and schools
- Provision of assistive technologies and devices for all children in preschools and schools
- Inclusion of children with disabilities and their families in socializing and sports activities.
- Accessible public spaces, schools and businesses for all.
UNICEF will continue to support institutions and communities to take significant steps to address the issues of persons and children with disabilities including enhancing laws, provision of community-based services, incentives and social cash transfers to ensure their rights are fulfilled.
Pictures of leaders, ambassadors and prominent figures in Kosovo joining the campaign can be found here: https://we.tl/t-d031txPoTx
UNICEF promotes the rights and wellbeing of every child, in everything we do. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
For more information about UNICEF and its work for children, visit www.unicef.org.