Female Circumcision between the Incorrect Use of Science and the Misunderstood Doctrine
When the first edition of Elimination of FGM/C, Questions and Answers To Religious Leaders by Prof. Dr. Gamal Serour and Prof. Dr. Ahmed Rag'a Abd El-Hameed Ragab of the International Islamic Center for Population Studies and Research, Al Azhar University (1426AH – 2005AD), was first released it was shared widely across many circles concerned with this issue. It was used to address questions and queries about FGM/C and was, therefore, added to many reliable internet sources as a credible reference. In recent years, however, several misinterpreted rulings and unscientific facts about FGM/C have surfaced. Therefore, the board of the International Islamic Center for Population Studies and Research decided to update this important book through careful review by a committee consisting of the following scholars:
- Prof. Dr. Ahmad Omar Hashim Former President of Al Azhar University
- Prof. Dr. Abdullah Al Hussaini Hilal Former Minister of Waqfs
- Prof. Dr. Ali Gomaa Mohamed Former-Grand Mufti of Egypt
The updated edition takes into account some significant considerations:
- Questions and clarifications have been reclassified to reflect current developments.
- Further questions and answers pertaining to the issue have been added.
- A careful review of the contents of the book has been carried out by a distinguished team
- of experts.
- The contents of the book were pre-tested during training programmes organized by theInternational Islamic Center for Population Studies and Research at Al-Azhar University, with different groups of preachers, Imams and female religious leaders, as well as final-year students within the faculties of Al-Azhar University.