What we do
UNICEF has been a champion of children’s rights in Liberia for close to 30 years
UNICEF's work in Liberia
UNICEF has been working in Liberia for close to 30 years, turning our vision for children into practical action.
The organization's work in the country is aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals, the African Union 2040 Agenda for Children, and Agenda 2063 of the Economic Community of West African States. UNICEF's vision for Liberia is that all children, from birth to adolescence, exercise their rights to survival, development, protection, and participation. To achieve this vision, UNICEF focuses on three key areas:
- Strengthening service delivery systems in health, nutrition, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), early and basic education, and child protection.
- Empowering communities to claim their rights and adopt positive social norms and practices.
- Prioritizing children's issues and creating an enabling environment conducive to effective governance.
UNICEF's work in Liberia is guided by the following principles:
- Focus on intersectoral and community-based approaches.
- Enhanced integration of disaggregated data, evidence generation, and the use of innovation.
- Stronger emphasis on prevention and resilience-building.
- Emergency preparedness and response.
- Partnership with the Liberian private sector.
UNICEF is committed to working with the Government of Liberia and other partners to achieve the child-related goals of the PAPD. The organization is confident that by working together, they can make a real difference in the lives of children in Liberia.
UNICEF Liberia Programmes
Child, maternal and neonatal health
With the aim of ensuring no child or mother dies of preventable causes, UNICEF is working to increase access to healthcare services for all. UNICEF supports efforts to prevent mother to child transmission of HIV, reduce child and maternal deaths, and prevent deaths from vaccine preventable diseases.
UNICEF is working to prevent children and mothers suffering from malnutrition, by promoting improved nutrition
intake or treatment for those suffering from malnutrition,
and preventing health effects or deaths.
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
UNICEF's WASH interventions help increase children’s access
to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
Accelerating improvements in access to quality
education for all children is one
of the most urgent priorities
for UNICEF in Liberia.
UNICEF works to improve the policies and services that protect and empower children and youth in Liberia. We aim to make Liberia a safe and inclusive place for children to grow.