UNICEF Regional Office for South Asia is dedicated to advancing the rights of all children in South Asia, especially the most marginalized and disadvantaged.
UNICEF Regional Office for South Asia (ROSA)
- We Work with country offices, regional institutions, media, headquarters, and global thought leaders.
- We Add value to UNICEF country offices in South Asia through active leadership, technical assistance, quality assurance and oversight.
- We Increase confidence by being a trusted partner of choice and we promote efficiency in our operations.
- We Empower others to act more strategically, innovate and take risks to improve results for every child.
- We Bring state-of-the-art knowledge, regional perspective, access to global networks and the credibility of UNICEF.
- We Influence decision making and leverage support to accelerate results for children.
UNICEF in South Asia is committed to transforming the future by:
- Being child-centered and results-based
- Achieving equitable results
- Promoting efficient and effective operations and cooperations
- Innovating by doing things differently to add value for children
- Acting at scale
- Documenting evidence, change, impact, and challenges
Regional Director for UNICEF South Asia
Mr. George Laryea-Adjei is the UNICEF Regional Director for South Asia, based in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Mr. Laryea-Adjei is in charge of leadership, oversight and guidance to the eight UNICEF country programmes: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. He also represents UNICEF with governments, donors, the private sector and civil society in the region.
With over 21 years of service in UNICEF, Mr. Laryea-Adjei has profound expertise in policy formulation and strategic planning, evaluation, crisis management, systems strengthening, resource mobilisation and partnerships.
Before his current assignment, he was the Director of Evaluation in UNICEF New York. He has also served as Deputy Director for UNICEF, Deputy Representative and Chief of Social Policy for UNICEF South Africa, Strategic Planning Office for UNICEF New York, and Programme Officer for UNICEF Ghana.
A national of the Republic of Ghana, Mr. Laryea-Adjei is an economist by profession. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Development Planning from the University of Science & Technology, Ghana, and a Master’s Degree in Urban Management and PhD in Economics from Erasmus University, The Netherlands.