Care for your mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic
Our daily lives have changed in so many ways since the onset of COVID-19. Are you concerned about the future? Anxious about distance learning? Do you feel isolated? Not sure who you can talk to or where to seek help?
During these challenging times, caring for your mental health, along with your physical well-being, is essential.
This is why UNICEF supports Ruang PEKA, a series of online sessions open to the public that provide mental health and psychosocial support for young people by young people. During each session, young people and experts are invited for short talks on various topics affecting their lives and live Q&As with specialists, moderated by Indonesia’s Center for Indonesian Medical Students (CIMSA).
Join us for these sessions or watch the previous sessions below.
Vol. 1: Stress, anxiety and fears during the pandemic
Watch the first episode for questions and stories by young people such as:
- Is it normal to feel stressed during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Where can we share our concerns if our family and friends are not supportive?
- What are tips for dealing with stress from daily tasks and burdens during the pandemic?
Vol. 2: Concerns during distance learning
Watch the second episode for questions and stories by young people such as:
- How can we stay focused while studying at home?
- How can we create a good learning environment at home?
- How can we avoid comparing ourselves to others?
- How can we stay positive and optimistic?
Vol. 3: Stigma around mental health
Watch the third episode for questions and stories by young people such as:
- How can we turn negative thoughts into positive ones?
- Why are many people with mental health disorders not seeking help from experts?
- What can the general public do to eliminate the stigma around mental health and to be more open and accepting of others?
- The experience of being diagnosed with a mental health disorder and what it’s like to live with it.
Vol. 4: Creating a healthy environment for mental health
Watch the fourth episode for questions and stories by young people such as:
- What can we do to turn a negative environment into a positive one for our mental health?
- How can your family accept the concept of mental health and support you if they do not believe in it?
- Do young people with special needs also experience issues with mental health?
- The importance of setting personal boundaries and tips on how to do it – advocated by youth influencer, Peachy Liv.
Vol. 5: World Mental Health Day Commemoration Event: Self-help and Reimagining our lives and mental health after the pandemic
Watch the fifth and final episode for a panel discussion with young people, a mental health expert and influencer Indra Sugiarto on topics such as:
- How did the COVID-19 pandemic affect the lives and mental health of young people?
- The pressures on young people to continue being productive and the anxiety of catching up on online classes.
- Recommended activities to maintain mental health, such as how to do more self-care.
- The issue of insufficient mental health and psychosocial support services in schools, and how to seek alternative services.
- Stigma as an obstacle to seeking help and how to deal with it.
- Young people's aspirations for a future world with mental wellbeing
Message from Nicholas Saputra
UNICEF National Ambassador Nicholas Saputra talks about the importance of taking care of your mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Find out more
Are you looking for more tips on mental health and positive actions you can take during this challenging time? Do you want to know how others are feeling and coping with the situation? Check out the links below: