Every child has a fair start in life
Breaking the cycle of intergenerational poverty.
Poverty is transmitted from one generation to another.
In Latin America and the Caribbean, 72 million children - 2 out of 5 - live in poverty, mainly indigenous and Afro-descendant populations, rural areas and peri-urban environments. Of these, 28.3 million children live in extreme poverty. An unacceptable situation that is transmitted from one generation to another.
UNICEF is working to break this cycle and give each child a fair start in life.
Poverty is transmitted from one generation to another. UNICEF works to break this cycle of intergenerational poverty by recognizing its multidimensional nature within the lives of children and adolescents, not just the insufficient income available in the household to meet the basic needs of its members.
Social policy programme
UNICEF is convinced that an equitable chance in life for every child is possible by working with governments, communities and the private sector to promote investment in children through truly universal, comprehensive, consistent and effective policies, as well as inclusive social protection programmes.
- Investment in children: We work to let know Government’s efforts in the region to fulfill the rights of children through public budgets, as well as to analyze their effectiveness.
- Social Protection: We advocate for the implementation of integrated social protection systems that incorporate actions to reduce poverty and vulnerabilities of households in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Strategic areas of work:
- Reduce multidimensional child poverty and increase access to social protection.
- Increase social investment and improve policies and programs with special attention to marginalized children, including those living with disabilities.
- Develop policies and programs aimed at reducing gender inequalities.
La inversión en la primera infancia en América Latina: Propuesta metodológica y análisis en países seleccionados de la región
América Latina a 25 años de la aprobación de la Convención sobre los Derechos del Niño
Child poverty in the developing world
Pobreza infantil en América Latina y el Caribe
Promoción y protección social de la infancia y adolescencia en Haití
La evolución de las estructuras familiares en América Latina, 1990-2010: los retos de la pobreza, la vulnerabilidad y el cuidado