Back to school handbook helps teachers and school directors open and operate schools during COVID-19
UNICEF supported MoEYS to prepare a Safe Operation of Schools in the Context of COVID-19 handbook to help teachers and school directors in Cambodia to start the new school year prepared.
- On 11 January, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, supported by UNICEF, launched a national back to school campaign, with the theme “Act Now”. The campaign has successfully begun, encouraging all Cambodian children to return to classrooms while practicing safe behaviour to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- The development of The Safe Operation of Schools in the Context of COVID-19handbook for school directions and teachers is an important element of the national back to school campaign. With support from UNICEF’s partners, including the European Union and the Global Partnerships for Education, the handbook has been delivered to all 13,000 schools and 3,000 community pre-schools in Cambodia so that school directors and teachers can start the new school year prepared.
- The development of the handbook has been a collaborative effort, whereby the School Health Department and all the members of the technical working group came together to lead the development of this important publication.
- The illustrated handbook features safety guidelines, checklists and tips on how to safely open and operate schools in the COVID19 context. The booklet also carefully considers that as children return to school, schools are safe, clean and supportive environments where children’s wellbeing and learning opportunities are both prioritised and optimised. The booklet not only incorporates information related to COVID-19; key principles for the safe and hygienic operation of schools in the 'new normal', but it also focuses on the (i) health and safety, (ii) learning and teaching, (iii) inclusiveness, (iv) wellbeing and protection of children – which should be considered before and during school reopening, and in the possibility of reclosing schools again.
- The information contained within the handbook is consistent with Cambodia’s Standard Operating Procedures for School Reopening in the Context of COVID-19; and combines important local guidance with global best practices, including with reference to guidance contained within the Implementation Framework for School Reopening developed by WHO, UNESCO, UNICEF, WB and WFP.
(PDF, 5,93 MB) (PDF, 8,50 MB)