Individual Communication Consultant
for Editing and Proof Reading in English, Viet Nam
Job no: 535408
Contract type: Consultancy
Location: Viet Nam
Categories: Communication / External Relations, Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
UNICEF Viet Nam is one of more than 190 offices of the United Nations Children’s Fund globally and part of the United Nations system in Viet Nam working in close collaboration with all UN agencies in the country. Guided by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, UNICEF has a universal mandate to promote and protect the rights of all children, everywhere – especially those hardest to serve and most at risk.
UNICEF’s mission in Viet Nam is to make sure every child in the country is healthy, educated and safe from harm, therefore having the best start in life and a fair chance to reach her or his full potential and benefit from the country’s prosperity. We believe children have a right to live in a more equitable society, where their voices are heard and needs met as a matter of priority in line with the Sustainable Development Goals. More information on what we do in Viet Nam is available at https://www.unicef.org/vietnam/
Viet Nam, as a lower middle income country since 2010, is at critical juncture in its development journey, especially under the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to ensure that the country’s nearly 26 million children benefit equally from economic prosperity. UNICEF in Viet Nam is implementing its country programme for the period 2017-2021 and work is underway for the development of the next country programme. The programme supports the achievement of selected priorities under the Socio-Economic Development Plans is aligned to UNICEF Strategic Plan 2018-2021 with equity as the fundamental principle. Social policies and social protection serve as an overarching umbrella for its strategic intent.
In order to meet the objectives set out in the country programme, UNICEF Viet Nam Office develops technical documents, publications, tools and communication material that require editing and proof reading in English language in order to meet the highest quality standards. Audiences include local decision makers, key influencers, partners, the general public, as well as the international community, international media, and other stakeholders abroad.
To meet such needs, having highly qualified professional English speakers of native level proficiency to provide regular services is critical.
Scope of Work
The work will include a revision of the draft texts with tables and figures to achieve an optimal flow of information and presentation of the key information. The editing process might entail substantive re-drafting and synthetizing of parts of the existing text to check for and correct repetition and spelling or grammar mistakes as well as to improve phrasing and language use in order to make the documents more reader friendly to non-expert audiences.
For this task, the Consultant is expected to refer directly to relevant UNICEF staff to ensure validity of statements. Graphic design and layout of the documents is not included in the tasks of this consultancy.
- Edit, proof-read, restructure, and rewrite as required materials ranging from complex publications to substantive technical documents.
- Produce reader-friendly, jargon-free products appropriate for varied audiences.
- Ensure clarity, consistency and readability of the text for wide range of audiences.
- Make necessary revisions according to UNICEF Stylebook (will be provided) and UNICEF publications guidelines.
- Correct spelling errors and grammar mistakes.
- Ensure a consistent style and format throughout the document.
- Maintain the authors’ writing style to the extent practical.
- Eliminate repetition, redundancies and inconsistencies.
- Ensure appropriate positioning and numbering of boxes, figures and tables.
- Use consistent font(s) – as relevant to headings and text and as per UNICEF stylebook and publication guidelines.
- Ensure all footnotes, sources, references are complete and consistent.
- Thorough review of annexes (people consulted, bibliography, etc.) to highlight incomplete areas along with consistency in presentation as per UNICEF publication guidelines.
- Prepare a complete table of Contents and Acronym List per document.
- Proof read designed layout files to ensure a complete print ready file.
- Produce final version ready to be formatted and uploaded for multiple platforms including print, website and social media.
Tasks and Deliverables:
Tasks and deliverables will be communicated to the Consultant with clear and realistic deadlines for submission.
Timeframe and budget
- The individual consultant contract will begin on 01 January 2021 and will end on 31 December, 2022 for an estimated total of 115 working days. The Consultant will be expected to work on different deliverables simultaneously during the contract period.
- The fee will be made based on financial offer.
The consultant will be supervised by the Chief of Communication and Advocacy and will work closely with other relevant UNICEF staff.
- University degree in linguistic, communication, or related fields;
- At least 3 years of experience in communication and editing;
- Mother-tongue level of proficiency in English and demonstrated good writing skills;
- Ability to synthesize complex documents into key messages;
- Capacity to work in team and under tight deadlines;
- Prior experience with the United Nations or other development partners is an asset;
- Familiarity with UNICEF’s style and UN editorial manual is desirable;
- Ability to work with MS Word, PowerPoint or Excel files, as required.
- The Consultant will work on a home-based basis and will be visiting UNICEF office premises in Hanoi on a regular basis to exchange face-to-face with UNICEF staff or by using Skype and other modes of communication.
- The Consultant will have to supply his/her own computer to work.
- The Consultant is not expected to travel outside of Ha Noi during this assignment.
Payment will be made in on a monthly basis within a maximum of 30 days after completion of assignments and submission of final invoice for the actual work completed during that period, subject to satisfactory performance.
For every Child, you demonstrate UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
For evaluation and selection method, the Cumulative Analysis Method (weight combined score method) shall be used for this recruitment:
a) Technical Qualification (max. 100 points) weight 70 %
- University degree in linguistic, communication, or related fields (20 points)
- Knowledge of communication and editing (30 points)
- Experience in with the United Nations or other development partners (30 points)
- Quality of past work (familiar with UNICEF's style and UN editorial manual) (20 points)
b) Financial Proposal (max. 100 points) weight 30 %
The maximum number of points shall be allotted to the lowest Financial Proposal that is opened/evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum 70 points score in the technical evaluation. Other Financial Proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
The Contract shall be awarded to candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores, subject to the satisfactory result of the verification interview if needed.
Submission of applications:
Interested candidates are kindly requested to apply and upload the following documents to the assigned requisition in UNICEF Vacancies: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/
- Letter of interest and confirmation of availability.
- Performance evaluation reports or references of similar consultancy assignments (if available)
- Financial proposal: All-inclusive lump-sum cost including consultancy fee for this assignment.
- CV/P11 form (UN Personal History Form)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: 21 Oct 2020 SE Asia Standard Time
Deadline: 03 Nov 2020 SE Asia Standard Time