Organization: Mykolaiv Charitable Foundation “Unitus”
Project title: Ensuring access to comprehensive gender-sensitive health care and social services and programmes for at least 500 adolescents practicing HIV/AIDS risky behaviours in Mykolaiv, Voznesensk and Yuzhnoukrainsk cities of Mykolaiv oblast in 2012-2014.
Project lifespan: 01 August 2012 – 31 July 2014
- Organization and provision of services to prevent HIV/AIDS/STI, facilitating access to HIV voluntary counselling and testing for MARA (most-at-risk adolescents) in Mykolaiv city and Mykolaiv oblast;
- Launching a model of preventive work with MARA in Voznesensk and Yuzhnoukrainsk cities of Mykolaiv oblast;
- Development of a regional strategy for working with MARA; strengthening regional partnerships and coordination of NGOs and state-run service units in implementation of HIV/AIDS/STI programmes for MARA;
- Sharing experience and knowledge about working with MARA on preventing and combatting HIV/AIDS/STI;
- Providing support, monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Due to effective cooperation of “Unitus” with state-run service units and authorities many most-at-risk adolescents were identified. Six social workers provided their support to MARA. Comprehensive consideration was given to the most difficult cases (using a case management modality). If additional needs were identified, adolescents were referred to other projects of the Foundation;
- MARA received better access to VCT through the activity of a multidisciplinary team in a mobile gynecological ambulant clinic;
- A youth-friendly clinic was opened in Mykolaiv oblast dermatovenerologic early treatment centre. Accessibility and sustainability of health and social care provision was ensured and a range of health and social services for MARA was extended;
- Based on the results of working groups and round tables the city administration of Yuzhnoukrainsk city decided to open a room for MARA in Health care unit # 2.
- A youth-friendly clinic was opened in the Central district hospital of Voznesensk city. It made possible increased trust in state-run health facilities and staff. A number of most-at-risk adolescents who applied for necessary care on their own increased from 10% to 60%. “Unitus” provided adolescents the possibility to undergo gonorrhoea and chlamydia testing;
- Two round tables were conducted before and after the project cycle. “Unitus” Foundation delegates its members to coordination councils on child protection in the state oblast administration and on combatting drug abuse, illicit traffic of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and precursors, alcohol abuse, AIDS and tuberculosis in Mykolaiv, Voznesensk and Yuzhnoukrainsk cities. This increases impact on key decision making in these areas.
Contacts: Mykolaiv Charitable Foundation “Unitus”, 29-B, Chihryna str, off. 102