Organization: All-Ukrainian Civic Centre “Volunteer”
Project title: “PILOTING THE SYSTEM OF PREVENTIVE SERVICE PROVISION TO VULNERABLE AND MOST-AND-RISK ADOLESCENTS IN TERMS OF HIV INFECTION”
Project lifespan: 1 October 2012 – 1 October 2014
The main project activities were implemented in three areas:
- Trainings were carried out to motivate target audience to undergo HIV testing, receive other health and social services and change risky behaviours – in cooperation with key institutions where vulnerable and most-and-risk adolescents study or where they are registered (approximately 8,700 adolescents were reached); creating groups of adolescent leaders for peer-to-peer activities;
- The system of referring adolescents to HIV testing and receiving other health and social services is established – through concluding the respective agreements with service providers and carrying our regular joint working meetings;
- Preventive agencies were engaged into improving the efficiency of the system of health and social service provision to vulnerable and most-and-risk adolescents for reducing the risk of HIV infection and for behaviour change;
- The Ministry of Interior recommended the juvenile criminal police departments in all regions of Ukraine to use the preventive programme “Learn to be healthy” and piloted it in three regions;
- HIV prevention among most-at-risk adolescents and adolescents in conflict with law was included in the curricula of Bila Tserkva college for staff of State Criminal Executive Service of Ukraine – it enabled making sure that teaching is ongoing and does not depend on external funding. Over 2,000 staff of criminal executive service of Ukraine received training so far.
- Project description was included as one of the best practices of Consolidated guidelines on HIV prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care for key populations produced by World Health Organization.
All-Ukrainian Civic Centre “Volunteer”, 2, Dovzhenka str., apt. 53, Kyiv, Ukraine
Project web-page (with the support of UNICEF and EU):