NGO participation in the Special Session
NGOs played a vital role in the preparatory processes of
the Special Session on Children and in the event itself, their
numbers growing and their influence strengthening over the
past two years. Their participation - like that of children
and adolescents - was unprecedented in a number of ways:
- NGOs were very involved in the preparatory processes
of the Special Session and in the negotiations of its final
text 'A World Fit for Children'.
- NGOs who participated formally at the Session were
not only ECOSOC-accredited organizations, but also grass-roots
NGOs who partner with UNICEF at the national level.
- Delegations from NGOs included a great number of
children and adolescents.
- In the number of official and supporting events
in which they participated and that they organized, NGOs
discussed important issues and promoted ways for governments,
civil- society organizations and children to work together
to make the world a better place for all.
- NGOs stressed the importance of a child rights-based
approach in the development of national plans of action
and in all follow-up action to the Special Session.
- They prepared a Commitment Chart that tracked the
pledges of Governments, NGOs and other non-state participants
during the Session.
- NGOs covered the Special Session with updates and
newspapers, and followed very closely the negotiations on
the outcome document, 'A World Fit for Children'.
- In their address to the General Assembly, they
insisted on the importance of child rights and the Convention
on the Rights of the Child as a cornerstone for all follow-up
Click below for more information and resources on: