Supply & Logistics Assistant: GS5
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Pretoria is inviting applications from suitably qualified South African nationals for the post of:
SUPPLY & LOGISTICS ASSISTANT: GS-5
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading child rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children's rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Guided by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, it strives to establish children's rights as enduring ethical principles and international standards of behavior and action towards children. In South Africa, UNICEF supports national efforts to realize children’s rights by promoting evidence-based policy advocacy and strategic partnerships as a means to leverage policies and resources for children, giving special attention to vulnerable children and disparity reduction. It works in the areas of health and nutrition, early childhood development; basic education; child protection and social policy, planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Duration: 2 years – with possibility of extension
PURPOSE OF POST:
Under general supervision of the Procurement Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for all shipping and forwarding documentation and related follow-up activities.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The incumbent will:
- Follow up for confirmation for safe receipt of supplies with Country Offices. Liaise with Country Offices to facilitate under-deliveries/lost shipments/other discrepancies.
- Assist in the internal control of the Office by monitoring the forwarding of supplies ensuring that established procedures are complied with. Scrutinize all invoices from the forwarding agents for accuracy in accordance with established tariffs.
- Send shipping instructions to the designated suppliers and/or to forwarding agents and follow-up on shipment as required through correspondence and visits as required. Inform country office staff and others concerned as to the status of export shipment.
- Develop and maintain an effective working relationship through regular meetings with the clearing & forwarding agent and the inspection agent, to ensure fast resolution of challenges and improved working procedures.
- Draft, issue and tabulate solicitation documents for institutional service contracts and supplies for assigned countries.
- Draft and release purchase orders for supplies, arrange shipping and inspection and manage the order through to delivery and final payment.
- Draft and release institutional contracts, issue to the contractor and managed the contract through to signature and archiving.
- Handle all personal shipments for staff as applicable, including duty-free import approval and export formalities relating to UN and South African Government clearance procedures.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Chief of Supply & Procurement.
The ideal profile of the successful candidate will include:
- Completion of secondary education (Grade 12)
- 3 years of progressively responsible related experience with commercial Institutions in shipping and supply functions
- Logistics/Supply Chain Management certification is an advantage
- Strong administrative skills, good organization and follow-up/monitoring skills
- Must be a self-starter, coupled with the ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work independently to solve shipping and forwarding challenges
- Computer literacy with SAP experience is an advantage
- Ability and willingness to work in a multi-cultural environment
Sharing UNICEF Core Values of:
• Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
Proficiency in UNICEF Core Competencies of:
• Communication • Working with People • Drive for Results
Application letter, along with CV and attached P11 Form should be send on or before 12 JULY 2013 to the following email address: email@example.com with the subject line “Supply & Logistics Assistant, GS-5”.
Only South African nationals will be considered. If you have not been contacted within one month of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. Regret letters will only be sent to interviewed candidates.
UNICEF IS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT.
UNICEF IS COMMITTED TO GENDER BALANCE AND DIVERSITY WITHOUT DISTINCTION AS TO RACE, SEX OR RELIGION, AND WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES. WELL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.