WHAT: UNICEF will facilitate a series of activities and media availability for expert spokespeople during the Global Forum on Migration and Development and the Intergovernmental Conference on the Global Compact for Migration, to be held in Marrakech, Morocco.
WHEN: Activities in Marrakech include:
- (5-7 December) Global Forum on Migration and Development
- (7 December) Launch of results from UNICEF poll of refugee and migrant children and youth
- (8-9 December) Youth Forum on migration
- (8 December) Mayoral Forum on migration
- (8 December) UNICEF Side-Event: “Uprooted Journeys: the role of an object”
- (9 December) Joint Side Event with the Global Initiative for Child Rights in the Global Compacts: “How to Translate Commitments into Action”
- (10-11 December) Intergovernmental Conference to Adopt the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM Summit)
WHO: UNICEF spokespeople available in Marrakech include:
- Mr. Laurence Chandy, UNICEF Director of Research and Policy
- Ms. Verena Knaus, UNICEF Senior Migration Advisor
- Ms. Marta Arias, Advocacy and Policy Specialist
- Ms. Cheryl Perera, Youth Delegate (Canada)
- Ms. Yasmin Youssef, Youth Delegate (Germany)
UNICEF spokespeople in country and regional offices will also be available to speak to region-specific migration issues from key locations including Latin America and the Caribbean, South Asia, and West and Central Africa. Languages spoken include Arabic, English, French, German and Spanish.
WHERE: Marrakech, Morocco and other locations
WHY: Migration does not need to be unsafe for children. Children do not need to miss out of school. No child should be denied access to a doctor. No child should be separated from parents or detained. No child should grow up in fear of detection and deportation.
The Compact marks an important breakthrough. It provides a much-needed global framework for cooperation to make migration safe and positive for all, including children. It recognizes – for the first time – that children are central to migration management. Its core message is simple: states need good migration management to realize the rights of children and protecting children is key to protecting borders.
Tel: +41 79 601 9917
Tel: +212 616-422011
Tel: +1 917 340 3017