Humanitarian situation report: Super Typhoon Rai/Odette

as of 13 January 2022

Children play a game as a UNICEF staff member looks on
UNICEF Philippines/2021/Marge Francia

Highlights

  • Typhoon Rai (local name Odette) entered the Philippines on 14 December as a category 5, making the first landfall in Siargao Island, Surigao del Norte on 16 December. It made eight more landfalls in four regions (ACAPS, 19 December). It brought torrential rains, violent winds, floods, and storm surges. Overnight, the typhoon resulted in death and injuries, left thousands of families homeless, and interrupted essential service delivery.
     
  • Building on its solid preparedness plans, UNICEF and its partners were among the first responders to the humanitarian impact of the typhoon. At the beginning of January, UNICEF activated its contingency partnerships with Action Against Hunger, Children and Family Services International, and Plan International to support the WASH, child protection, and education in emergencies response in the typhoon-affected communities.
     
  • To date, UNICEF has reached over 45,000 individuals with emergency WASH supplies. More than 2,700 individuals had improved access to temporary district hospitals and rural health units established in the tents and/or to COVID-19 infection prevention and control measures.
     
  • UNICEF appeals for US$11.48 million to reach at least 200,000 children and their families who are most affected. Almost one month into the emergency, UNICEF has received US$4.4 million (38%), leaving a funding gap of US$7 million (62%).
Cover for Typhoon Rai/Odette Situation Report for 13 January 2022
Author
UNICEF Philippines
Publication date
Languages
English

Download

(PDF, 273,18 KB)