We’re building a new UNICEF.org.
As we swap out old for new, pages will be in transition. Thanks for your patience – please keep coming back to see the improvements.

Press centre

News note

UNICEF assists post-earthquake child support mission

High level mission with government looks into signs of stress in children

BEIJING, 21 May 2008 – The Government of China has organized a high level mission to Sichuan - with support from UNICEF - to provide immediate psycho-social assistance for children suffering emotional trauma following the major earthquake that struck the region on 12 May.

The mission has been organized by the Ministry of Civil Affairs (MCA), the top government body handling child protection issues in China, and the National Working Committee on Children and Women (NWCCW) the State Council’s coordinating body for children’s issues, in response to numerous reports that children are exhibiting signs of severe stress related to the traumatic experiences of the massive earthquake. The multi-sectoral team is made up of UNICEF professionals, psycho-social recovery specialists and senior government officials.

“It is important to reach out quickly to children who have been affected by the traumatic experiences they have been through,” said Dr. Yin Yin Nwe, UNICEF Representative and Chair of the UN Disaster Management Team for China, “After the 2007 Yunnan earthquake, when UNICEF provided technical assistance for child psycho-social support we found about 95 per cent of children were naturally resilient and could be helped through community based psycho-social care. The remaining 5 per cent needed to be referred for psychological treatment.” 

The main purpose of the mission is three-fold: 1) to organize immediate psycho-social interventions for hundreds of children who have been separated from parents, 2) to gather information on the scope of post-disaster child psycho-social stress in the region and 3) plan next steps to provide long term psycho-social support interventions. The team will visit facilities where separated and unaccompanied children are currently being cared for. The mission will last about five days.

Efforts to collect detailed information on separated and unaccompanied children have been hampered by damaged infrastructure in the region. Following a natural disaster, it is important to rapidly identify and document all separated and unaccompanied children. When children are suddenly separated from their parents and family, they are much more vulnerable to abuse and exploitation.

“In order to avoid permanent institutionalization of these children,” said Marc Ono, UNICEF’s Chief of Child Protection, “UNICEF is also promoting the use of foster care and community-based residential care based on a successful MCA pilot programme in Zhengzhou and other project sites supported by UNICEF.”

UNICEF and MCA are currently discussing long-term plans for supporting children who have been affected by the earthquake.

About UNICEF in China: UNICEF first assisted China between 1947 and 1951, providing emergency services, food and nutrition, health and hygiene training during and after the Revolutionary War. In 1979 UNICEF officially commenced its cooperation with the Government of China to support child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is on the ground in over 150 countries and territories to help children survive and thrive, from early childhood through adolescence.
For further information, please contact:
Dale Rutstein, UNICEF China, +86 13910973801, drutstein@unicef.org
Liu Li, UNICEF China, +86 13701066671, liliu@unicef.org
Kate Donovan, UNICEF New York, + 212 326 7452, kdonovan@unicef.org





21 May 2008:
UNICEF correspondent Chris Niles reports on the trauma that children are facing in the aftermath of China’s earthquake.
 VIDEO high | low

video on demand
from The Newsmarket

New enhanced search