Facts on Children
PolioFrequently Used Numbers for Polio Eradication:
- Polio cases in 1988: 350,000
- Polio caseload: the number of polio cases fell to just under 700 reported cases at the end of 2003 ľ a greater than 99 per cent reduction in case.
- Polio cases in 2006: 2001
- Polio cases in 2006 in endemic countries: 1873
- Polio cases in 2006 in India: 674
- Polio cases in 2006 in Pakistan: 40
- Polio cases in 2006 in Afghanistan: 31
- Polio cases in 2006 in Nigeria: 1128
- Polio cases in 2006 in non-endemic countries: 128
- Number of polio endemic countries in 1988: more than 125
- Number of polio endemic countries today: four ľ Afghanistan, India, Niger, Pakistan
- Since 1988, some two billion children around the world have been immunized backed by an international investment of US$ 3 billion.
- Global funding gap for 2007-2008: 575 million as of March 2007
Updated: April 2007