Senior Administrative Assistant
Purpose of the post
Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer undertakes administrative management support services in the Malawi Country Office, the incumbent assists in ensuring efficient and cost effective administrative support services, providing guidance to administrative staff as well and supporting staff in office administrative assignments. Ensures the office’s administrative operations and services are in compliance with the organization's administrative policy, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Provides practical input on implementation of administrative guidelines, in close coordination with the head of office, Operation staff/ Administrative Officer.
Supports the Administrative Officer and the Chief of Operations, and updates staff on administrative policies, procedures rules and regulation. Implements the appropriate application and interpretation of administrative rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Briefs and assists arriving and departing staff on basic administrative procedures and requirements.
Contributes to recommendations on the improvement of internal controls systems taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
Keeps Administrative Officer abreast of potential problem areas, prepares reports on administrative matters as required.
Provides administrative support and services to the Malawi Country Office including preparation and funding of service contracts, preparations of Purchase Orders (POs) for all admin supplies and guidance on administrative procedures.
- Assists the Administrative Officer in preparing estimates on office premises, supplies and equipment requirements for budget preparation purposes.
- Assists the Administrative Officer in the establishment and maintenance of security arrangements and related administrative services.
- Supports management of administrative supplies, stationery, office equipment and vehicles, updating inventory of items, serving as an alternate ex-officio member to the Property Survey Board where applicable. Assists Administrative Officer in Property Survey Board submissions, preparing minutes of meetings. Assists Administrative Officer in executing PSB recommendations approved by the Head of Office.
Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
- Ensures that all administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Contributes to the reviews of contractual arrangements related to administrative support (i.e. courier, premises maintenance, ancillary administrative support, vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance etc.) to ensure that the terms and conditions of all contracts are being adhered to by providers of goods and services. Proposes to Administrative Officer any changes that may be required.
Monitors payments against contractual obligations.
- Develops training activities to ensure effective performance and efficiency in admin services management. Implements effective staff learning and development programme activities for capacity building. Contributes to workshops for staff’s competency building, staff learning and development, career development.
- Supports effective working relations with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners on issues relating to administrative matters through information exchange, collaboration, and harmonization. Cooperates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including common services and premises agenda, etc.).
Malawi Certification of Education or its equivalent and training in business administration to diploma level. University level courses in administration, finance, or any other related field of discipline relevant to the job is an asset.
2. Work Experience
7 years of relevant professional work experience with both national and international work experience in office management, administration, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, supply or any other relevant function.
Fluency in English and Knowledge of Chichewa.
Another UN language is an asset.
4. Required Competencies
- Planning and Organizing
- Following Instructions and Procedures
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
- Excellent interpersonal and sound writing skills.
Fixed Term Appointment with initial period of One year
6. How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV and Personal History Form (P-11 form) (which can be downloaded from our website at https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_53129.html) on or before 7 October 2013 via e-mail address: email@example.com
- UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly females are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.
- Applications sent through the post office and hand delivery is not accepted.
UNICEF IS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT