Stretch Assignment Opportunity: OIC, Chief of Communication (P3/P4) UNICEF Vientiane, Laos
Closing date: 29 October 2019
UNICEF Lao PDR TERMS OF REFERENCE,
STRETCH ASSIGNMENT-OIC CHIEF OF COMMUNICATION, P3-P4
PART 1. General Information:
Duty Station: Vientiane, Lao PDR
Duration: 6 months
Starting date: January 2020
Supervisor: Representative, Lao PDR
Closing date for receipt of applications: 29 October 2019
Staff members on Fixed-Term, Permanent or Continuing appointment within UNICEF that runs through the duration of the assignment are eligible to apply.
Travel and DSA:
Economy class return travel ticket irrespective of flight time. For assignments of 6 weeks and over, full UN DSA rate (per the duty station) for the first 2 weeks, then at 50% of UN DSA rate (per the duty station) thereafter. If, however the staff member on assignment is required to travel on mission to another location in the (country office) which is beyond commuting distance, the staff member shall receive the full DSA applicable at that location.
Retaining Current Post:
If selected for this opportunity, the concerned staff member will remain on their existing post and will be temporarily situated with the Communication Section in UNICEF Lao PDR for the duration of the stretch assignment. Upon completion of the stretch assignment, the staff member will return to their respective post/ Thus, no changes will be made to s/m’s existing status (post number etc/, will all remain as it is).
PART 2. Application Process:
Interested staff members should discuss this internal stretch assignment with their supervisor and CO Representative and obtain their agreement before sending their application.
Upon receipt of the agreement, please apply by sending an email to Oana Ungureanu, HR Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to Yelena Soldatova , Operations Manager at email@example.com no later than cob 29 October 2019 quoting “Stretch !ssignment – Chief of Communication” with.
- Cover Letter
- Your up-to-date P11 or e-recruitment profile
- Your two most recent PERs
- Approval from your Supervisor and CO Representative to release you if selected.
PART 3. Terms of Reference:
2020 will be the fourth year of UNICEF Lao PDR Country Programme Cycle (2017-2021). Establishing visibility for this new programme, and fundraising for its various components, is a major task for the communication section in 2020 and 2021. Advocacy, Communication and Partnerships is one of the key strategies to achieve programme results.
The incumbent will lead the Communication Section to develop and implement the Country Office Communication and Advocacy Strategy with a focus on content creation for advocacy and resource mobilization/donor communication. Particularly, he or she will guide the team to generate communication materials, design campaigns, organize key advocacy events, engage with youth and influencers, liaise with government and other counterparts, including donors.
The media and external relations component of the Communication Section aims at improving the quality of media reporting, especially on issues relating to children, youth and women. The incumbent will also pass on specific knowledge that is currently weak in Lao PDR, especially on the effective use of social media, photo and video, writing for a given audience, etc.
Goal and Objectives
Under the supervision of the Representative, the incumbent of the post will contribute to strengthening UNICEF’s Communication and Advocacy Strategy in Lao PDR, with a focus on digital communication, in order to achieve better results for vulnerable children and women.
The OIC will manage the team and the implementation of the Annual Work Plan.
Lead the conceptualization, planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of a communication and advocacy strategy to leverage better results and mobilize resources for children.
- Use a number of digital and social media channels, and make recommendations regarding current and future social media platforms and innovation technologies to use in order to increase UNICEF’s outreach in Lao PDR and abroad.
- Design and localize campaigns to the local context.
- Develop and produce multimedia products and online campaign narratives to advance UNICEF’s mandate and to better profile children's rights.
- Liaise with donors and National Committees and facilitate field visits and content creation as needed.
- Organize advocacy events, including preparation of briefings, content, coordination with partners, visibility and communication materials.
- Support the team throughout the annual reporting process and the development of new Annual Work Plans with key partners.
- Lead the development of the C4D Strategy and Parenting Framework.
- Support the development and implementation of the Parenting Package.
1) Provide details/reference to AWP areas covered
Country Programme Document:
Outcome 2: By 2021, national policy environment and systems are improved for disadvantaged children, guided by knowledge and data.
Output 1: By 2021, a broad range of partners for children established through advocacy, communication and resource mobilisation
Output 2: By the end of 2021, social norms and behaviours related to child survival, development and protection are improved through effectively coordinated C4D initiatives, technical oversight and institutional capacity building.
Output 3: By the end of 2021 key communication outlets (media, mass organisations, and youth media) have increased capacity to advocate for child rights.
2) Activities and Tasks
- Lead and supervise the development and implementation of the AWP and AMP.
- Accompany, provide support and supervise the performance of team members.
- Represent the section in meetings, events, etc.
- Monitor budget utilization, DCTs, TA etc.
- Liase with front office, and provide strategic advice and support to the representative and programmes on communication and advocacy related issues.
- Liaise with the regional office (EAPRO) and DOC as needed.
Advocacy and Partnerships
- Help finalize the Lao Communication and Advocacy Strategy.
- Lead and supervise the development of a content management plan.
- Bring story-telling to a new level through effective multimedia and multi-platform digital communication. This may include the development of press releases, fact sheets, newsletters, key messages, media kits, human interest stories, glocal campaigns, blog posts, etc., following UNICEF editorial guidelines;
- Strategize and organize public advocacy events.
- Adapt global campaigns to the specific context of Lao PDR in a “glocal” approach
- Regularly monitor implementation of activities.
- Liaise with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for advocacy around SDGs and implementation of activities under the AWP.
Communication and Media outreach
- Produce content or supervise outsourced content production and communication materials. Assist the team with media outreach among international and regional media about UNICEF Lao PDR priorities;
- Organise field visits: Media, donors, NatComs, and influencers;
- Assist HQ and the Regional Office in identifying and feature stories and other materials to facilitate global/regional advocacy and fundraising activities, particularly in support of National Committee efforts to mobilize resources. Ensure regular inputs to Geneva, NYHQ web for profiling Lao PDR programme and results.
- Supervise the implementation of activities by the Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism and the Lao National Radio.
- Ensure high visibility of UNICEF Lao PDR programme and wide coverage of its activities.
Digital engagement and Multimedia production
- Lead the development of digital initiatives in the country and provide ideas to increase digital engagement.
- Supervise the development and dissemination of social media content though UNICEF’s platforms, including production of digital/online campaigns;
- Produce or supervise outsourced content production high quality multimedia products (shooting and editing), including videos, on key programme priorities including WASH, health, HIV, nutrition, protection and education following UNICEF editorial style;
- Provide technical expertise and build capacity of National Staff, youth and partners on the various field of expertise in digital engagement and Multimedia production;
- Supervise the production of multimedia content.
- Propose innovative ways of engaging youth people through digital platforms.
Donor communication – resource mobilization
- Lead communication with donors, with a special focus on European Union funded initiatives.
- Coordination with National Committees and other partners.
- Supervise content production and donor’s visibility plans implementation.
- Quality assurance of donor reports, including editing.
- Contribute to the development of donor proposals.
- Lead the development of the C4D Strategy and Parenting Framework.
- Support programmes in the implementation of C4D activities.
- Coordinate with the Lao Front for National Development for the implementation of activities.
- Support the development and implementation of the parenting package.
3) Work relationships
The OIC will work in close collaboration with the Representative, the Deputy Representatives and all the programmes to provide strategic advice on communication and advocacy and increase the visibility of programmes.
In addition, the incumbent will lead the communication team, guiding and supporting team members and regularly monitoring the implementation of activities.
4) Expected outputs
- Annual reporting documents finalized.
- Annual Work Plan for the section and key partners finalized in close coordination with counterparts.
- Inputs for the AMP provided.
- AWPs and AMP regularly monitored and activities implemented as planned.
- Communication and Advocacy Strategy finalized.
- Content management plan developed.
- Advocacy events organized as planned.
- Communication and advocacy activities regularly monitored.
- Regular support to senior management and programmes in communication and advocacy provided.
- Stories/messages are pitched to the media as required.
- Materials/content/messages are disseminated to UNICEF RO, NatComs, media and other partners.
- Communication materials are produced or facilitated as required.
- Content for UNICEF’s social media platforms, including digital/online campaigns is regularly produced and performance monitored.
- Field visits with media, donors, NatComs supporting UNICEF Lao PDR priorities are organised as required.
- Stories and other materials to facilitate global/regional advocacy and fundraising activities, particularly in support of National Committee efforts to mobilize resources are identified and shared with the Regional Office and HQ.
- Digital initiatives including, innovative digital technologies for youth engagement are launched as per office needs.
- Quality multimedia products (shooting, editing and writing) on key programme priorities including WASH, health, HIV, nutrition, protection and education highlighting donor’s visibility are produced and widely disseminated
- Advocacy and media events are coordinated as per needs.
- Donor communication plans implemented as planned.
- Donor reports checked as per SOPs and communication materials reflected.
- Capacity building sessions with National Staff, youth and partners on the various field of expertise in digital engagement and Multimedia production are organized.
- C4D Strategy and Parenting Framework developed.
- Parenting package finalized, and support for implementation provided.
5) Minimum Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Candidate:
- Advanced Degree in Communications, International Relations, Public Relations, Social/Human Sciences or other related field.
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience at national or international level in the areas of advocacy, communication, resource mobilisation and partnership.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to cope with stressful and difficult conditions and political/cultural sensitivity and ability to work in international and multicultural environment.
- Proven experience in implementing time limited projects.
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form and to produce reports in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team in an international, multicultural and interdisciplinary environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Knowledge and skills in computer management and application (Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign is an asset).
- Excellent writing, research and analysis skills. Familiarity with RBM, Results Assessment Module (RAM), VISION and Insight is an asset.
Fluency in English is essential; excellent drafting skills as well as oral presentation skills.