Job Number: 522873 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Asia and the Pacific: Lao,Peo.Dem.Rep
Work Type : Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
The main purpose of this assignments is to support the efforts of UNICEF Lao Country Office in strengthening the provincial planning, minoring and budgeting for better results for children. UNICEF together with provincial and district authorities conducted the Bottlenecks Analysis with costed action plans which will feed into the District Socioeconomic Development Plan and PSEDP. The purpose of this assignment is to review the costed plans/ budget of Sepone (Savannakhet) and Sanamxay (Attapeu), linking with national budget and attend two workshops in provinces in Attapeu and Savanakhet to facilitate the discussion with local authorities. The consultant will support to matching the itemize cost to the government charge of account base on rules and regulations or guidelines from central Government especially Ministry of Finance (MoF), and sectoral ministries. This budget/costing review will be used for advocacy and policy dialogue with the government for leveraging Public Finance for Children in Lao PDR.
How can you make a difference?
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Vientiane, Lao PDR is looking for a qualified Lao National Consultant for Budget/Costing Review. The assignment expects to take a total of 30 working days during the period June 17 to Aug 31, 2019 with field travels to provinces.
This assignment will be day to day supervised by Social Policy Officer and collaboration with relevant staff from Health, WASH and Education sections in UNICEF Lao country Office under the overall supervision of the Chief of Policy, Monitoring, and Evaluation. The consultant will work closely with different departmental staff within the Ministry of Education and Sports, Ministry of Health, their provincial and district officials as well as relevant department partners.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
Providing technical support for reviewing the costing estimation and district costed action plans produced as part of the bottleneck analysis by matching the itemize cost to the government charge of account base on rules and regulations or guidelines from central Government especially MoF, and sectoral ministries. In order to conduct the assignment, the consultant is expected to carry out but not limited to the below tasks:
- Conduct a desk review of the relevant government policies and costing guidelines, financial reporting and budget allocation guidelines and processes
- Review the costing estimation and district costs action plans produced as part of the bottleneck analysis to match the itemize cost to the official budget coding (budget and charge of account) submitted by relevant line ministries for government approval and allocation of budget
- Draft the budget review summary sheet as per the budget/expenditure charge of account main categories, and calculate its simple proportion analysis and share with relevant ministries official and sub-national officials for confirmation of their correctness
- Participate in the July’s workshop together with UNICEF team to validate and consolidate additional information to finalize the budget review summary notes
- Revise the draft budget review summary notes as per comments provided
- Submit the budget review summary notes that containing budget proportion analysis that are ready for advocating public funds support.
To view detail Terms of Reference for this assignment, please click here: ToR Costing Review Consultant_29 May 2019.docx
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-graduate degree in public finance, economics or equivalent field with at least 5 years of experience in sub-national planning and budget analysis;
- Experience in research and analysis
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong analytical and writing skills, and the ability to present the results in a simple language, making use of interesting visual aid (maps, graphs and other visual tools);
- Track record of successful delivery of high level expert advice to governments and international organizations; previous work with the UN an asset;
- Familiarity with and experience in the socio-economic and political environment of the Southeast Asian Region and Lao PDR is an asset.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good English language skills – both in oral and written communication
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Fri Jun 07 2019 09:00:00 GMT+0700 (Indochina Time) SE Asia Standard Time
Closing Date Wed Jun 12 2019 17:00:00 GMT+0700 (Indochina Time)