The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Vientiane, Lao PDR is seeking Expressions of Interest from the qualified translator(s) to provide the translation, proof-reading and interpreting services. In order to achieve further time and cost efficiency while ensuring outstanding quality of services, UNICEF wish to enter into a Long-Term Agreement (LTA) for this service. The assignment, under this LTA, is expected to have a duration of 4 years. The initial LTA would be for two years with an option for renewal in subsequent years upon satisfactory performance evaluation. The assignment is expected to begin by the first week of October 2019.
Key tasks under this assignment include:
This LTA is being established to serve the needs of all sections in UNICEF Lao PDR country programme related particularly to translation services to meet the office’s media, advocacy and fundraising objectives.
- Under the guidance of UNICEF staff, the translation/interpretation agency provides high quality translations of press releases, booklets, human interest stories, reports, proposals, papers, subtitles for film scripts and other evidence-based visibility material. Provide direct editing/writing and proof-reading support to programme sections in the compilation of donor reports, and other materials for advocacy and fundraising (including donor proposals).
- Translations are done keeping in mind culture, gender and other diverse sensitivities as per UNICEF guidelines.
- Expected to complete a comprehensive translation of the material provided ensuring clarity and correctness while taking into account the sensitivity of alternative care jargon and respecting the intentions of the writers and experts.
- Expected to verify that each chapter reads well in the required language being translated to, by establishing flowing tones, cohesion and proper structure and to deliver a final product in a timely manner and of publishable quality.
- When required participate (in person or via conference call) in a briefing on specific projects and issues in the material to be translated to understand the nuances of the subject matter.
- Demonstrate a client-oriented approach, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ensure effective and efficient provision of services, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
At the end of each assignment, the translation agency will deliver high quality translations of documents in English, Lao and important regional language/s; and interpretation services within the given time ensuring clarity and correctness.
- Translated, revised and certified materials as described above.
- Simultaneous translation services provided as required.
- The standard timeframe for the written translation delivery shall be as follows (from the date of submission by UNICEF):
1 – 10 pages: 2 days
11 – 50 pages: 5 days
51 + pages: As per the above time benchmarks
Education, Qualifications and Experience Required:
The institution/company should have internal expertise in the following:
- Excellent English, Lao and/or other languages (to be confirmed on case to case basis) translation skills and certification as a translator.
- Ability to work on demand, multi-task and deliver ahead of tight deadline.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in the source language and excellent command / writing skills in the target language with capacity to provide final typed material in requisite font that can be universally accessed.
- At least five years’ experience, and expertise, in the relevant languages especially for translation of technical documents.
- Degree in communications, arts, media or any relevant field is an asset.
At this stage, UNICEF is requesting confirmations of interest, along with the following information, to review and select potential companies for the upcoming bidding process. If you wish to participate in the planned solicitation, please provide the following:
1. Brief description on your area of expertise related to the translation, proof-reading and interpreting services. As part of this, please list specific services that you offer and based on the assignments listed above. (maximum 2 pages)
2. Details of clients and projects worked on, including experience working with national counterparts, non-profit organizations/ UN agencies/ other international organizations & multinationals.
3. Sample of works from previous projects.
If you wish to participate in the planned solicitation, please kindly respond by email or mail (subject reference: UNICEF Supply Unit) to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com or at UNICEF, P.O. Box 1080, Vientiane, Lao PDR, no later than 26 July 2019.
Click to download PDF