Accelerated School Readiness Programme
CONTEXT FOR DEVELOPMENT OF ACCELERATED SCHOOL READINESS PROGRAMME
- UNICEF’s Strategic Plan highlights innovation and partners as key enablers in driving equity of education globally.
- Within Ethiopia, where the ASR Programme has been developed and implemented, improving equity of education has been identified as a critical need.
- Pre-primary education is essential to realizing the full potential of a child; however, equity of access and quality of programming remains a challenge in many regions where UNICEF operates, including in Ethiopia, where children experience high dropout rates from formal school in Grade One and face limited access to formal pre-primary in rural regions.
- The ASR Programme is the first school readiness programme of its kind in Ethiopia that has been developed with the support of the Ministry of Education.
- Given the role of the community and policy environment in influencing a child’s learning, innovation in the education sector is highly contextual and a school readiness programme in one country may not be considered particularly innovative in another country.
(PDF, 2,10 MB)