Overview of Child Rights in Development Cooperation
This module provides an introduction to the CRC, defines key terms and concepts and provides a framework for analysing and putting into effect the international legal and political commitments to child rights within a country context. This module:
- Defines child rights as the norms and standards for child well-being codified in international law;
- Identifies the key international and EU legal and political commitments to child rights, as well as the key considerations for engagement on child rights issues;
- Identifies the purpose, main components and methodology for conducting a child rights-based country context analysis.
References and resources
- Committee on the Rights of the Child, ‘General Comment No. 5: General measures of implementation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child’, Thirty-fourth session, 19 September–3 October 2003.
- Committee on the Rights of the Child, ‘General Comment No. 10: Children’s rights in juvenile justice’, Forty-fourth session, 15 January–2 February 2007.
- Committee on the Rights of the Child, ‘General Comment No. 12: The right of the child to be heard’, Fifty-first session, 25 May–12 June 2009.
- Committee on the Rights of the Child, ‘General Comment No. 13: The right of the child to freedom from all kinds of violence’, 2011.
- European Parliament, ‘Resolution on the Review of the EU's Human Rights Strategy (2012/2062(INI))’, adopted 13 December, Strasbourg, 2012.
- Minority Rights Group International in association with UNICEF, State of the World's Minorities and Indigenous Peoples 2009, MRG, London, 2009.
- UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, 'Promoting the Rights of Children with Disabilities', Innocenti Digest no. 13, 2007.
- United Nations Children’s Fund, ‘Narrowing the Gaps to Meet the Goals’, UNICEF, New York, 2010.
- United Nations Children’s Fund, State of the World’s Children Special Edition: Celebrating 20 years of the Convention on the Rights of the Child, UNICEF, New York, 2010.
- United Nations Children’s Fund, Beijing + 15: Bringing girls into focus, UNICEF, New York, 2010.
- United Nations Children’s Fund, The State of the World’s Children 2011 – Adolescence: An age of opportunity, UNICEF, New York, 2011.
- United Nations Development Programme, Human Development Report 2005: International cooperation at a crossroads – Aid, trade and security in an unequal world, UNDP, New York, 2005.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, ‘Tools and Publications’.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and United Nations Children’s Fund, Justice in Matters Involving Child Victims and Witnesses of Crime: Model law and related commentary, United Nations, Vienna, 2009.
- World Bank, World Development Report 2006: Equity and development, World Bank and Oxford University Press, Washington, DC, 2006.
- World Health Organization and World Bank, World Report on Disability, WHO, Geneva, 2011.
Key EU documents focusing on child rights
- Towards an EU Strategy on the Rights of the Child (2006)
- EU Agenda for the Rights of the Child (2011)
CHILD RIGHTS IN EXTERNAL ACTION
- EU Guidelines for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of the Child (2007)
- The European Union’s Action Plan on Children’s Rights in External Action (2007)
- A Special Place for Children in EU External Action (2008)
- Council Conclusions on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of the Child in the European Union's External Action: The development and humanitarian dimensions (2008)
HUMAN RIGHTS IN EXTERNAL ACTION
- The EU’s Role in Promoting Human Rights and Democratisation in Third Countries (2001)
- EU Guidelines on Human Rights Defenders (2008)
- EU Democracy Support in the EU’s External Relations (2010)
- Strategy for Effective Implementation of the Charter of Fundamental Rights (2010)
- Human Rights and Democracy at the Heart of EU External Action (2011)
- Report on the Application of the Charter on EU Institutions (2011)
- EU Strategic Framework and Action Plan on Human Rights and Democracy (2012)
HUMAN RIGHTS IN COOPERATION FOR DEVELOPMENT
- Council Conclusions on the Millennium Development Goals for the United Nations High-Level Plenary Meeting in New York and Beyond (2010)
- Increasing the impact of EU Development Policy: An agenda for change (2011)
- The Future Approach to EU Budget Support to Third Countries (2011)
Gender and violence
- EU Implementation on UNSCR 1325 and 1820 (2008)
- Guidelines on Violence against Women and Girls (2008)
- EU Plan of Action for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment 2010–15 (2010)
International humanitarian law
- Guidelines on International Humanitarian Law (2009)
Emergency, crisis and conflicts
- Children in Emergency and Crisis Situations (2008)
- EU Guidelines on Children and Armed Conflicts (2008)
- The Global Approach to Migration and Mobility (2011)
- Council Conclusions on Child Labour (2010)
- Guidance Note on Disability and Development (2003)
- EU Disability Strategy 2010–2020 (2010)
- Education and Training in the Context of Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries (2002)
- Council Conclusions Tackling Child Poverty and Promoting Child Well-being (2011)
- Health and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries (2002)
- The EU Strategy towards the Eradication of Trafficking in Human Beings 2012–2016 (2012)
- Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on the European Rules for Juvenile Offenders Subject to Sanctions or Measures (2008)
Other key standards
- UN Standard Minimum Rules for the Administration of Juvenile Justice “The Beijing Rules" (1985)
- UN Rules for the Protection of Juveniles Deprived of Their Liberty “The Havana Rules” (1990)
- UN Standard Minimum Rules for Non-custodial Measures (The Tokyo Rules)(1990)
- UN Guidelines for the Prevention of Juvenile Delinquency (The Riyadh Guidelines) (1990)
- UN Guidelines for Action on Children in the Criminal Justice System (The Vienna Guidelines) (1996)
- UN Basic Principles on the Use of Restorative Justice Programmes in Criminal Matters (2002)