UNICEF Ethiopia Internship Opportunities - 2016
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
UNICEF Ethiopia Country Office is looking for suitable and eligible female students (Ethiopian Nationals Only) to undertake internships in the year 2016 in its Addis Ababa Office and Field Offices as indicated below. For Field Offices, only interested students from that locality will be considered.
This Internship Programme exclusively aimed at female interns, offers outstanding graduate-level students the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to UNICEF’s work. It is designed to complement development-oriented studies with practical experience in various aspects of multilateral technical fields, but also complements other studies relevant to the focus of UNICEF’s country programme. Interns in turn, are also a significant asset to the organization since they can potentially offer excellent academic credentials, including most recent thinking and research tools in their area of study.
Internship assignments will vary in length according to the availability and academic requirements of the Intern, as well as the needs of UNICEF. Interns will be accepted for a minimum of 6 weeks to a maximum of 6 months.
The internship opportunities will be available in the following sectors at different times of the year.
1. Media and External Relations (MER) 2. Health 3. Nutrition 4. Child Protection 5. Water, Sanitation & Hygiene 6. Education 7. Supply & Logistics 8. Administration 9. Human Resources 10. Information & Communications Technology 11. Program Monitoring Unit 12. Social Policy and Evidence for Social Inclusion
· Bahir Dar, Hawassa, Jijiga, Semera, Mekelle, Gambella & Assosa.
NB: For Field Offices, only interested students from that locality will be considered and only for programmes available at field level.
Duties & Responsibilities
Assignments will vary in terms of content in that interns may have a country-specific, sectoral, or thematic focus. The duties given below are therefore generic and may vary from one Section to the other. However, every attempt will be made to match the interests of the Intern with the needs of the organization. Interns will be assigned clearly defined projects related to their area of study, in line with the requesting Section’s requirements and objectives.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the respective Officer at the respective Section and Duty Station, the intern will undertake the following general duties and responsibilities (Specific ToR will be adapted to suit the requirements of each Section and/or Field Office)
· Assist in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of UNICEF-supported programmes and projects,
· Undertake research, analysis of the findings and prepare briefing notes and reports on assigned subject areas of interest to UNICEF, Donors & Partners as identified.
· Assist the Project Officer in preparing detailed quarterly activity reports and other updates as and when required
· Provide substantive and technical servicing of meetings, backstopping, fact-finding through field visits and other technical activities in support of UNICEF programmes
· Assist in the organization of events (training events, workshops, seminars, conferences, missions etc) and draft/edit reports of the same as may be required
· Undertake day-to-day programme and administrative tasks as required
Candidates for the Internship Programme are selected on a competitive basis and must meet the following eligibility criteria;
· Enrolled in an Accredited University or Management School for a Masters Degree programme OR in the Final year of First Degree programme in a development related field such as social development, child survival, or other fields related to any of the above Major Sectors in UNICEF etc
· Only those students who will return to their studies upon completion of their internship assignments are eligible. Those who have already graduated from their Bachelors Degree and have not enrolled for Masters and those who have already graduated from their Masters are NOT eligible to apply
· Demonstrated interest in the field of development
· MUST be Female Ethiopian Nationals
· Physically fit, willing and able to travel in the field
· Evidence of skill and potential
· Written and spoken proficiency in English and local language (relevant to duty station)
Contractual Terms and Conditions;
All applicants should complete an internship application form and attach CV/P11. You will be requested to supply documentary evidence (I.e. transcripts, letters of recommendation from professors, proof of insurance coverage, etc.) that supports the statements you have made in your application. DO NOT, however, send any documentary evidence until you have been asked to do so by the UNICEF and, in any event, DO NOT submit the original texts of references or testimonials unless they have been obtained for the sole use of the UNICEF.
The deadline for this application is OPEN considering that eligible students are available at different times in the course of the year. Applications will be screened and processed throughout the year. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Dully completed applications should be submitted by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org