Arena Centar, Tele2 and UNICEF support distance education
100 tablets and 500 SIM cards provided for children from vulnerable groups
Zagreb, 28 April 2020 – COVID-19 pandemic has taken school activities to an online environment, with the new situation being particularly challenging for families with children who lack the IT equipment and Internet access to attend school remotely. In cooperation with the Ministry of Science and Education and partners, UNICEF is providing tablets and SIM cards for Roma children and other vulnerable groups of children to support their education in the context of a coronavirus pandemic. Thanks to the support of Arena Center, 100 tablets worth HRK 120,000 have been provided for children of Roma national minority who do not have the equipment to participate in distance learning in Sisak-Moslavina, Koprivnica-Križevci, Brod-Posavina and Međimurje County. With the support of Tele2, 500 SIM cards with 22GB of internet traffic have been provided for children who do not have internet access from 52 schools across Croatia.
“In the circumstances of isolation due to the coronavirus pandemic, children from vulnerable groups are at increased risk of not fully adopt and understand the school lessons and never compensate this lack, which may result in them leaving school prematurely. It is extremely important that we as a society, especially in the times of crisis, pay particular attention to ensuring equal opportunities for every child."
I thank our partners, Arena Center and Tele2, for helping us provide tablets and SIM cards for children who would otherwise not be able to participate in the distance education, which would have a long-term impact on their education. Challenging times are looking for togetherness, and this valuable donation is an indicator of how together we can make major changes for the better in the lives of children who need the additional support and solidarity of the entire community" said Regina M. Castillo, Representative of the UNICEF Office for Croatia.
In addition to providing IT learning equipment, in cooperation with the Ministry of Education, UNICEF is carrying out other activities to support education of children in Croatia in the context of a coronavirus pandemic, including:
- developing guidance, educational content and recommendations for parents, children and teachers, including those to support the identification of misinformation, developing media literacy and providing a safe environment for children online as well as recommendations for tailoring programs for children with disabilities
- preparing video lectures on media literacy for official distance education platforms, including the first media literacy lecture for the 2nd grade of elementary school at HRT's "School on the Third Programme", with the participation of UNICEF GWA Mirna Medaković Stepinac
- providing educational materials for children living in difficult socio-economic conditions
- acquisition of IT equipment to upgrade the functionality of the CARNet server so that it can accept the increased traffic due to the transfer of learning to the online environment
The investment of UNICEF and its partners in IT equipment and other educational support activities is a long-term contribution to the quality of education for children in Croatia.
UNICEF, together with donors and companies, aids the most vulnerable children and families in Croatia as part of its national campaign "Together Against Coronavirus", and by donating to UNICEF you can support:
• improving distance education
• providing psychosocial to the most vulnerable children and their families
• procurement of respirators and other priority medical equipment
• procurement of protective equipment for healthcare professionals and other professionals who assist children and families
• procurement of disinfectants and hygiene supplies
• protecting children from cyber bullying and the negative effects of misinformation and fake news.
- via web page www.unicef.hr/zajedno-protiv-koronavirusa/
- by payment to a UNICEF account HR1723600001501092524 to 2063-989
UNICEF promotes the rights and wellbeing of every child, in everything we do. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
For more information about UNICEF visit www.unicef.org