U-Report Bulgaria Coordinator
Closing Date Mon Feb 10 2020
U-Report Bulgaria Coordinator (consultancy open for Bulgarian nationals only)
Job Number: 529559 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Europe and Central Asia Region: Bulgaria
Work Type : Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, childhood.
What is U-Report?
U-Report is a social monitoring tool designed for youth and other community members to strengthen community-led development, citizen engagement and access to and use of real-time monitoring and participation platforms. It allows youth to speak out through polls and unsolicited messages – on what is happening in their communities. It provides a forum to amplify their voices through local and national media and acts as a citizen-sourced, real-time data point for key stakeholders, service providers and decision-makers about the issues being faced in communities. The platform also feeds back useful information to the U-Report users, so they are empowered to work for change and improvements in their localities themselves.
The platform is based on a global model that has been successfully deployed in a range of other countries. Bulgaria has a high mobile density rate and youth and adults have good access to mobile phones and social media channels. Furthermore, the technology for this platform has already been developed (www.rapidpro.io) and structures are in place to support the development of Bulgaria-specific versions of the system.
To learn more about U-Report, please visit the following link: https://www.unicef.org/innovation/U-Report
How can you make a difference?
The overall goal of the assignment is to support the UNICEF Country office and partners with the implementation of the U-Report strategy and scale up throughout Bulgaria to reach children, adolescents and young people, empower them to speak out and have influence on issues they care about in their communities. The position requires extensive external and internal communication and collaboration and involves significant partnership mobilization and engagement. The consultant is also expected to ensure that information collected through U-Report feeds into UNICEF and the Government of Bulgaria’s joint strategic goals, outlined in the current CPD 2018-2022 and its relevant strategies.
Scope of work and specific tasks:
Coordination of U-Report Bulgaria strategy implementation.
- Coordinate, monitor and ensure the implementation of the planned activities under the U-Report Bulgaria strategy and action plan for 2020.
- Ensure day-to day management and running the local digital platform and provide support for the analysis and evaluation of the U-Report roll-out process.
- Work closely with all partners and assist in development, deployment and reporting back on regular (bi-weekly) U-Report polls and stories designed to inform and engage communities. This will also include input for development and deployment of live chat Q&A, bots and campaigns.
- Ensure regular feedback to U-Report users on results and how information is used.
- Assist in development and implementation of continuous users’ recruitment and engagement plans.
- Advise and train partners on the utilization of U-Report.
- Monitor, evaluate and support the partner usage of U-Report to understand incentives and constraints involved between highly active and less frequently engaged U-Reporters and propose solutions and strategies to foster a stronger participation.
- Contribute to development and adjustment when needed of U-Report annual activity and content plans.
- Prepare technical documentation, reports, guidelines, etc. relating to U-Report implementation, including suggestions for improvement
- Contribute to the integration and utilization of U-Report disaggregated data in UNICEF and partners’ youth programme planning and service delivery
- Coordinate the work of the U-Report Steering committee, manage communication with its members and facilitate regular online and offline meetings
- Facilitate the activities of the U-Report Youth Champions Group.
Partnership engagement and communication.
- Provide support for building and nurturing strong long-term partnerships with youth groups and coalitions, NGOs, universities, schools, community organizations, private sector and other to constructively and sustainably engage them in U-Report.
- Support identification and application of U-Report within key partner relevant initiatives and campaigns.
- Support public communication activities, awareness raising and participate in campaigns and related events aiming at U-Report promotion.
- Assist in knowledge management through documenting use cases, success and lessons learned.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in a relevant field such as social sciences, humanities, international relations, IT, communications/journalism, or a similar field.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience in project management and particularly projects with multi-partner involvement.
- Experience in child/youth outreach and digital-led youth engagement spanning both public and private sector. Experience in managing child/youth projects with strong technology components is considered as asset.
- Experience in communication and technology field. Ability to present and communicate new projects to a varied audience.
- Knowledge and understanding of principles of youth participation and user-centered design; awareness of trends in child and youth digital participation and social media communication behaviors.
- Partnership development: Experience of fostering open dialogue, building trust and engaging diverse stakeholders such as youth groups and coalitions, government ministries, local authorities, private companies, universities, community organizations and schools, non-governmental organizations.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as to transfer knowledge and skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills, including experience in writing for the web.
- Adept at using a wide range of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Respect for diversity and human rights.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Bulgarian.
Full details of the work assignment can be found here: ToR - UNICEF Bulgaria - U-Report Coordinator.pdf
Interested candidates are required to submit a Cover letter indicating their financial proposal containing the following information:
- Gross monthly fee in BGN to undertake the terms of reference
- Transportation cost for in-country travel
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Fri Jan 31 2020 09:00:00 GMT+0200 (Eastern European Standard Time) FLE Standard Time
Closing Date Mon Feb 10 2020 23:55:00 GMT+0200 (Eastern European Standard Time)