Job Number: 526994 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Europe and Central Asia Region: Bulgaria
Work Type : Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, childhood.
The existing Country Partnership between UNICEF and Bulgaria for the period 2018 – 2022 identifies adolescent development and engagement as an explicit cross-cutting priority. The interventions undertaken at country level are contributing to national priorities and to the objectives of Generation Unlimited. In consultation with national partners, the Country Office aims at strengthening interventions related to the second decade of life by formulating a strategy for its support to adolescent development and engagement in Bulgaria both through mainstreaming adolescents’ issues in all programme components and through specific initiatives. Emerging strategic priorities for the CO in line with the global Adolescent development and engagement agenda and the priorities of Generation Unlimited include the following areas:
- Ensuring that secondary education transmits skills that young people need for the future of work, including through fostering entrepreneurship and improving the digital and media literacy;
- Providing disadvantaged adolescents and young people within and outside the school system with opportunities for training and skills development, including through strengthening the linkages between education and business;
- Empowering young people for engaged citizenship, including through the World Largest Lesson initiative and by introducing Child Rights Education;
- Creating opportunities for young people’s engagement in online and offline platforms to amplify their voices and exchange knowledge and engaging them in a meaningful and sustainable way as co-creators.
How can you make a difference?
- Provide technical assistance and support to UNICEF to operationalize Generation Unlimited at country level, taking into consideration CO priorities in the area of adolescent development and engagement;
- Provide technical assistance and support to UNICEF in conducting consultations with adolescents and young people on different issues and in different areas related to their lives, through different instruments (online and offline);
- Provide technical assistance and support to UNICEF and the Ministry of Education and Science for the introduction of Child Rights Education in pre-school and school curriculum;
- Provide technical assistance and support to UNICEF for the introduction, implementation and scale up of U-Report;
- Provide technical assistance and support to UNICEF to develop and implement initiatives for building skills of disadvantaged adolescents for learning, personal development, digital and entrepreneurial skills and skills for employability;
- Provide technical assistance and support to UNICEF interventions related to adolescents’ engagement – such as the World Largest Lesson Initiative and others;
- Support the development of advocacy materials related to adolescents and young people as well as the development and/or adaptation of adolescent-friendly materials;
- Support with the preparation of reports and documentation of CO initiatives.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in social sciences, psychology, pedagogy or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience of working on adolescent issues;
- Very good knowledge and understanding of human rights and adolescent and youth issues;
- Experience in facilitating consultations and engagement of children and adolescents;
- Energy and enthusiasm; ability to work under pressure; very good communication, facilitation and presentation skills;
- Pro-activity and strong drive for results;
- Proven analytical and writing skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Fluency in English is a must;
- Willingness and availability to travel across the country.
Full information on the work assignment is available here: TOR_Consultant on Adolescent Development and Engagement_2019-2020.pdf
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Thu Oct 10 2019 09:00:00 GMT+0300 (Eastern European Summer Time) FLE Daylight Time
Closing Date Tue Oct 22 2019 23:55:00 GMT+0300 (Eastern European Summer Time)