Local consultant to assist in conducting mid-term evaluation of the State Programme on De-institutionalization and Alternative Care (SPDIAC)
UNITED NATIONS CHILDREN'S FUND
Terms of Reference for Local consultant to assist in conducting mid-term evaluation of the State Programme on De-institutionalization and Alternative Care (SPDIAC)
1. Program information: 0039 Azerbaijan Country programme 2011-2015
2. Background and Context:
Considerable amount of work has been carried out since the adoption of the State Programme, including establishment of the specialized Department on De-institutionalization and Child Protection under the Ministry of Education, adoption of the Master Plan of Transformation of Child Care Residential Institutions, cost comparison analysis of state child care services vs. alternative ones, launching of the pilot project on Establishment of local level child care services etc. The outlined activities resulted in decrease in the number of institutionalized children, capacity development of relevant governmental structures in the area of child protection, and raising the awareness of relevant governmental structures and general public on the overall issue of de-institutionalization and alternative care.
The year of 2011 is the momentum for conducting a mid-year review of the SPDIAC, which would be an excellent milestone to ensure smooth implementation of the State Programme, reveal challenges and define further steps. From the outset UNICEF has been supporting the implementation of the SPDICA mainly through providing technical expertise concerning all key activities. In accordance with the Rolling Work Plan for 2011-2012 signed between UNICEF, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of Population UNICEF will also extend its assistance for involving international expert for conducting of mid-term evaluation of the State Progarmme on De-institutionalization and Alternative Care’s implementation. Outcomes of the consultancy will be further presented to the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan and civil society organizations at the special devoted to this occasion event to be held in April 2011. The mid-term review of the State Progarm will be carried out by independent international expert, who will require an assistance of local consultant
3. Purpose of the assignment
4. Duty station: Baku, Azerbaijan
The work will be supervised by the international consultant and UNICEF Child Protection Officer with the general guidance of UNICEF Deputy Representative. The consultancy report will be submitted to UNICEF Representative and shared with the Government of Azerbaijan Republic.
Under the guidance of principal expert the national consultant will perform the following tasks:
1. Update the quantitative data on children and staff in residential institutions in the dimensions relevant for the process of deinstitutionalization , on the number and profile of children who have left institutions in accordance with the State Programme for deinstitutionalization (since its inception until 2011.) as well as other quantitative data regarding entry and exit in residential care and accomplishment of other quantitative targets regarding prevention of family separation and alternative services (community based services , foster care and guardianship etc.)
2. Summarizing the main regulations (laws, by-laws , standards, guidelines , protocols of collaboration between sectors and between central and local authorities etc.) relevant for assessment of child needs and making decisions about child placement in services or family support in cash and kind , as well as all other decisions or other courses of action which have a role in preventing child institutionalization and accelerating deinstitutionalization process
3. On the basis of written guidelines conduct focus group discussions with staff and examine documents and care practices in a selected number of institutions focusing on their achievements, obstacles and constraints in carrying out improvements in service provision and carrying out tasks related to family reintegration or other forms of alternative care for institutionalized children. List the activities undertaken in staff training , (re)definition of job descriptions, deployment or separation
4. Apply a questionnaire and carry out interviews with selected number of children, who were deinstitutionalized or are in the process of change in placement, with the goal of assessing quality of the process of selection , preparation and adjustment of children in the new setting The opinions of . their present care takers and their parents or other representatives will be consulted as well..
5. Assist the principal researcher in analysis of collected information and other tasks geared towards the provision of recommendations on further steps in the reform of services and provision of social inclusion opportunities to the most vulnerable children and families.
6. Translate questionnaires and other research instruments developed by international expert from English into Azerbaijani
7. Submit mid-term and final consultancy progress reports to UNICEF Azerbaijan office.
Phase 1: updating the data and summarizing national normative legal documents (mid May)
Phase 2: conducting focus group discussions, interviews and provide analysis of collected data (end June)
9. Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required:
10. Procedures and logistics:
via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality. UNICEF is an equal opportunity employer.
UNICEF is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children's rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential.
Deadline: April 29 , 2011
For further information please contact: Munir Mammadzade , Child Protection Officer,