“The Untold Stories” National Essay Competition
Deadline: Sunday 07 March 2021 (23:59)
UNICEF Albania is launching this essay competition open to all Albanians living in the country or abroad entitled “The Untold Stories”, focusing on the awareness on human trafficking, a phenomenon that touches women and men in Albania and particularly children, consisting more than 30% of the overall victims of human trafficking in the country.
Tell us how YOU see it, the survival and hope, the social and psychological impact that human trafficking has on our society and the victims themselves and enter this competition to be part of this awareness campaign.
If you are interested in submitting an essay, tell us how you feel, give us the story of how you see this phenomenon. Check out https://www.unicef.org/albania/ to learn more and get inspired, let’s do more together to contribute to raising awareness on this issue in Albania.
The participants can submit their entries by email at
The deadline to submit the photos is 07 March 2021, 23:59.
Who can participate?
- This competition is open to Albanians living in the country or abroad.
- This competition is open to non-professionals only.
How it works
- The essays should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 23:59 on 07/03/2021
- The essay should be written in a minimum of 500 to a maximum of 600 words.
- The email should include the essay attached as a separate file named as such: name surname_title of the essay
- The essay should show the author’s vision, reasons, what did they want to say to the viewer.
- The participant should include their contact information, email and phone number in their application email.
- The participant should confirm in writing via the application email that they are the author and owner of the essay.
- Entering this competition does not limit the participant and they are welcomed to enter other competitions launched by UNICEF Albania, as long as all competition guidelines are respected.
Specification of the essay:
- The essay should be minimum of 500 to a maximum of 600 words.
- The essay can be written in English or Albanian only.
- The essay must adhere to the competition guidelines.
- The essay should speak about themes like modern slavery, trafficking, broken hopes, illusive and unreachable expectations, demystifying life abroad, etc.
- The story can be a complete fiction and not relate with any real life situations.
Selection of the winners:
- The jury will be composed of competent and professional individuals, always making sure all guidelines and procedures are being implemented correctly.
- Winners will be notified beforehand and announced publicly via UNICEF Albania social media channels.
- The jury members and their close family members cannot apply to the competition.
Guidelines to choose the Winners:
- The specifications of the essay are satisfied.
- The idea, concept and originality of the essay will be evaluated and highly taken into consideration.
- The message: The essay should be powerful, inspirational and empowering and should relate to modern slavery, trafficking, broken hopes, illusive and unreachable expectations, demystifying life abroad, etc.
- The essay should show an overall impact to the audience.
Copyright of the Selected Entries:
- The author will sign a document to grant UNICEF Albania the copyright of their essay.
- UNICEF Albania will publish the winning essays on different media outlets.
- For awarded entries, copyright holders/author grants UNICEF Albania unlimited non-exclusive use for activities in all media, including social media, online and print, in relation to the contest, the public archive, and all promotional and educational activities without any remuneration being due.
- The conditions set out in the Entry Rules are binding, and UNICEF Albania reserves the right to refuse or exclude any entry if it considers that it doesn’t abide by the terms and conditions.
- Three winners will be selected. Each will win a Lenovo Tablet.
- Each winner will be notified by phone and email. All the participants must provide correct names, telephone numbers and emails.
- If a winner cannot be notified within seven (7) days, or does not respond, the prize will be awarded to the participants ranked after in the selection of the jury.
- There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for the prize.
- This essay contest will be concluded with a printed booklet containing the selected essays.
UNICEF promotes the rights and wellbeing of every child, in everything we do. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
For more information about UNICEF and its work for children, visit www.unicef.org/albania.