UNICEF Afghanistan Humanitarian Situation Report: 1-31 May 2023
Situation Report #5 in 2023: 1-31 May
- The number of people in need has risen from 28.3. million to 28.8 million people mainly due to an increase in the number of people requiring protection services.
- As the weather warms, cases of acute watery diarrhoea continue to increase impacting vulnerable children. Urgent funding is needed for emergency health activities and for water, sanitation, and hygiene activities to reduce the risks of further increases.
- 3.4 million children received vitamin A supplements through National Immunisation Day campaigns.
- 573,000 children (59 per cent girls) accessed education in nearly 18,000 community-based education classes in 30 provinces.
- 55,400 households in Jawzjan and 2,700 households in Nuristan received cash assistance to facilitate girls’ enrolment in school.