If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF, the world’s leading organization working for the rights of children, seeks a Representative, P-5, Djibouti, Djibouti.
Under general supervision by the Regional Director, the incumbent will:
• Be responsible for overall development, formulation, conception and management of UNICEF Country Programme of Cooperation (Medium to large size CO), approved by the Executive Board.
• Represent the Executive Director in all aspects of UNICEF's co-operation with the Government/Country Office. Collaborate as part of the UNCT in this regard.
• Be accountable for the formulation and management of the UNICEF Country Programme of Co-operation, as approved by the Executive Board.
• Be accountable for UNICEF's advocacy with the government and other partners for the enhancement of the survival, protection, development and participation of children and women in national development efforts.
• Be responsible for all aspects of office management of the UNICEF country office.
• Support implementation of the UNICEF supported emergency programme, ensuring that the Situation Analysis and EPRP are regularly updated.
• Participate in organizational and institutional initiatives to strengthen UN Coherence. Ensure that joint programming (including joint programmes) and common services are achieved to the extent possible.
• Provide policy support, guidance and advocacy on the development and establishment of common services arrangements agreed to by participating organizations/agencies at the country level. To ensure that these joint operational arrangements, assist UNICEF in its objective to provide efficient and economical support services to the implementation of the country programme.
• Provides policy support, guidance and advocacy as required in emergency situations and other humanitarian programme implementation. Collaborate as part of the UNCT in this regard.
• Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines.
• Ten years of relevant professional work experience. Experience in programme/ projects management and building strategic alliances and partnerships/resource mobilization.
• International and Developing country work experience and field work experience.
• Background/familiarity with Emergency.
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• Integration and synthesis of various programme activities in accordance with professional practices and UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
• Expert knowledge of advanced concepts in primary discipline, with a broad knowledge of related disciplines, in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures.
• Building strategic alliances and partnerships/Resource mobilization: leverages the larger resources of national governments and other development partners.
• Fluency in French and English.
• A low-middle income country with low Human Development Indicators
• High Child Mortality Country, with high levels of inequity and disparities;
• Complex and highly challenging political and Human Rights context;
• Prone to natural disasters (drought) requiring humanitarian response.
• Medium size office with international and national staff (majority of national staff)
Previous experience as a Representative or a similar substantial managerial position (e.g. Deputy Representative or Chief, Field Office) managing multi-sectorial programmes. Proven management and negotiation skills needed. Demonstrated ability for senior level communication/advocacy in sensitive environments.
• Strong programme experience
• Proven strengths in programme strategy, M&E and/or knowledge management to support a Government in need of high level technical expertise in UNICEF's focus areas.
• Proven ability to lead, motivate and attract highly educated and experienced national professionals and GS staff.
• Proven capacity to strategize, manage and "achieve" for results, through the application of appropriate risk management practices and safeguarding of full operational and fiduciary integrity.
• Capacity to articulate and communicate a vision, conduct a dynamic leadership style and catalyze and work collaboratively with external partners, UNCT and UNICEF offices in the region.
• Demonstrated ability to instill trust, maintain high ethical standards and displaying respect and sensitivity towards gender, cultural and religious differences;
• Substantive all-round knowledge of both development/emergency/recovery issues. Welcomes and successfully manages and adapts to change.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully conduct high level representation, communication, resource mobilization and advocacy.
This is a vacancy in UNICEF’s Senior Staff Rotation and Reassignment Exercise (SSRRE 2013). Applicants are invited to express a maximum of five post choices, listed in ranking order of preference within this exercise. For staff within the UN system, please note that at least three of the posts applied to should be at the applicant’s present level.
Applicants are requested to submit a P. 11 form, CV and ONE cover letter for all positions applied to (please note positions and ranking order of choice in cover letter). Please send your application to email@example.com by 23 November 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.