Internal/External Vacancy Announcement: No. VN/PBR/2014/11 - HIV/AIDS Specialist (Antenatal Care/HIV) - NOCPost: HIV/AIDS Specialist (Antenatal Care/HIV)
Duty Station: Kampala
Type and Duration of Appointment: Fixed-Term Appointment (One year with possible extension)
Purpose of the post:
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide technical advice and assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the PMTCT and Care and Treatment Plan of activities outlined in the strategy document, making recommendations in areas that require updating in the strategy. Meet with national and international agencies involved in the management of PMTCT & HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment for children programmes. Participate in meetings with Ministries and Departments responsible for HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment for children and adolescents programmes and follow-up on implementation of recommendations and agreements.
2. Undertake periodic field visits to the selected districts to monitor programme activities, as well as participate in quarterly/annual programme reviews and planning exercises at regional and district level coordinated by the SPC and area management teams. Propose and undertake action on operational procedures affecting implementation and management of programme activities at national level.
3. Develop and submit funding proposals for activities/projects related to PMTCT and HIV/AIDS Treatment and Care. Prepare briefings for donors and guide donor field visits.
4. Design, prepare, implement, monitor and evaluate assigned HIV/AIDS programme with special emphasis on PMTCT & Paediatric Care and Treatment activities and access to friendly services. Analyze and evaluate data to ensure achievement of objectives and take corrective action when necessary to meet programme objectives. Assist in the development and implementation of new approaches, methods and practices in project management and evaluation with regard to PMTCT and HIV Care and Treatment for children and adolescents including TB care and treatment in children in context of HIV.
5. Participate in the development and review of the HIV/AIDS Strategic Framework to ensure inclusion of specific objectives and activities for HIV Care and treatment for children. Provide guidance and technical support to District Project Officers/Regional Managers in the implementation of PPA district activities in the area of HIV/AIDS with a specific focus on Community Mobilization for PMTCT & HIV/AIDS care and treatment for children and adolescents.
6. Prepare the related strategy documents for the Country Programme Recommendation (CPR) and Plans of Action, Country Programme Summary Sheet, etc.
7. Assist Government authorities to plan and organize training on PMTCT & HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment for children. Identify training needs and objectives for the purpose of capacity building, programme sustainability, as well as promotion and advocacy. Initiate and support implementation of community based formative research in selected areas to guide the development of communication activities and materials.
8. Coordinate with the Operations/Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certify disbursements of funds to national level activities monitor and submit financial status report as required.
9. Participate in inter-sectoral collaboration with other programme colleagues. Assist in the development of appropriate communication and information strategy to support and/or advocate programme development from a rights perspective.
10. Prepare programme/project status reports required for management Board, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, etc. Ensure the accurate and timely input of project information in computerized programme system and the issuance of status reports for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
§ Advanced (postgraduate) University Degree in Medicine with specialization in HIV/AIDS or related work experience.
§ At least five years progressive professional experience in managing and implementing programmes in the field of HIV/AIDS work and particularly in PMTCT & HIV Care and Treatment. Extensive knowledge of planning, managing and evaluating of development programme.
§ Excellent understanding of the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
§ Knowledge of latest developments and technical updates in the HIV/AIDS field.
§ Analytical, negotiating, and advocacy skills.
§ Training ability.
§ Good knowledge of computer management and applications.
§ Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment.
§ Fluency in English is required and strong written and verbal communications skill therein strongly desirable.
§ Core Values: Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity
§ Core Competencies: Communication, Working with People, Drive for Result
§ Functional Competencies: Leading and Supervising, Formulating Strategies and Concepts, Analyzing, Relating and Networking, Persuading and Influencing, Creating and Innovating
1. ONLY Ugandan Nationals will be considered
2. UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
3. Applications will be considered only if accompanied by an updated CV and P11 form, as well as the most recent performance evaluation report.
4. If applications are sent by email, please clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name your file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_MukasaP11 or Gold_MukasaCV or Gold_MukasaApplication.
5. UNICEF is a smoke free environment.6. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Human Resource Specialist, UNICEF Kampala, Uganda, Plot 9, George Street, PO Box 7047, Kampala Uganda
Via email to: email@example.com