Terms of Reference - Internship in digital marketing and website content management
BACKGROUND: Internships in the UNICEF country office in Skopje offer a small group of outstanding university students the opportunity to acquire experience working in an international development environment. The programme provides the opportunity to contribute to the UNICEF mandate and the country’s development efforts. Furthermore, it provides individuals the opportunity to gain an understanding of UNICEF’s development policies, thematic priorities, and technical cooperation activities with practical experience in an international work environment.
Recognising that interns can be a significant asset to the organization - since they can potentially offer excellent academic credentials including the most recent thinking and research tools in their area of study - the UNICEF country office in Skopje is offering internships within the Communication Sector.
More specifically, this internship will provide qualifying candidates the opportunity to further develop their skills and gain practical work experience in implementing internet communication outreach activities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Research, develop and implement digital initiatives to increase traffic and engagement on the UNICEF website (unicef.mk) and other UNICEF supported websites (beznasilsvo.mk and prvite5.mk).
• Research, develop and implement systems to monitor online activities.
• Following the corporate UNICEF requirements and using content management systems, the intern will be trained and gain experience in carrying out on-time technical update of web-sites, as guided by relevant UNICEF staff.
• Assists in the organization of other related activities within the Communication Sector, as needed.
WHAT TO EXPECT: Supervision in development and technical practices:
• Enhanced or marketable job skills in the development field and specific technical field.
• Be part of a world knowledge network of development and technical practitioners.
• Letter of reference to certify internship.
• Additional training in specific content management systems as required.
The internship is not intended to lead to further employment within the UN system, but to complement the intern’s studies or provide additional job experience. The internship will provide certain reasonable work accommodations to successful applicants, adjusted according to individual needs and in the context with the resources of the programme.
The following minimum qualifications are required:
• Be a current undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate student in a field related to information technology; digital marketing; communications or relevant field.
• Be proficient in English and Macedonian.
• Have excellent academic performance as demonstrated by recent university or institution records.
• Computer literacy in standard office software applications.
• Demonstrated keen interest in the work of the UN, and of UNICEF in particular, and a personal commitment to child rights and to the ideals of UN Charter.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and to be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
UNICEF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
The following additional qualifications will be viewed as an advantage:
• Fluent in Albanian an advantage.
• Understanding and experience in using CMS (ideally however not a prerequisite experience using Joomla, and RedDot).
• Understanding of and experience in search engine optimization, context-advertising (Google adwords, Yandex direct, etc).
• Understanding of and experience as a developer of web 2.0 applications (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc); more specifically knowledge and understanding of related web programming language and interfaces.
• Understand and experience in using web and social media analytic tools.
• Understanding and experience in developing digital communication material (web banners, html email, simple Facebook fan page applications) an advantage.
STATUS OF AN INTERN: Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNICEF in any official capacity. The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNICEF but to complement the intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
FINANCIAL ASPECTS: This internship operates on a non-salaried basis. The subsistence and travel costs connected with the internship must be borne by interns or by other institutions. Applicants for internships must sign a “Statement of Understanding of Internship Conditions” as part of the application form before starting internship. If work-related travel within the country is requested by UNICEF during the internship period, per diem and travel costs shall be paid by UNICEF.
DURATION OF INTERNSHIP: Interns will be accepted for a minimum period of six weeks and a maximum of 15 weeks starting from the period 15 September 2012. UNICEF offers part-time or full-time (5 days/week, 40 hours/week) internships throughout the year to coincide with academic obligations.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All candidates must complete and submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to UNICEF Office, address: Orce Nikolov 74, 1000 Skopje before the 7 September 2012.
1. Signed application form which includes a statement of understanding of internship conditions.
2. Completed P11 form.
3. Letter from the candidate’s university: The letter must certify enrolment, state course of study, expected degree and expected date of graduation and other relevant information (i.e. if the internship is being monitored by the sponsoring institution – however please note this is not a requirement that the internship be monitored).
4. Copy of the most recent transcripts.
5. Two letters of recommendation from an employer, internships, or university professors.
Please note that sending the application shall not necessarily lead to the placement into internship programme, only selected candidates will be contacted.