Sector Capacity Support (Education) - El Geneina, West Darfur (international consultancy)
Purpose of the consultancy
- To support and strengthen the UNICEF education teams in West Darfur, government counterparts and other education partners, with regards to the sector coordination mechanism, partner networking, monitoring and reporting of the sector and the capacity of the State Ministry of Education in leading the sector in West Darfur.
- To support UNICEF education staff in Darfur to meet the expectation of a cluster leadership role as well as to implement the planned activities (Annual Work Plans) with no major delays.
- To strengthen the monitoring capacity of UNICEF education staff in West Darfur and establish systematic information collection mechanisms on UNICEF implementation as well as that of education sector partners.
- Map and update details of education partners and assess sector capacity for West Darfur in light of the introduction of a cluster approach.
- Build capacity of the State Ministry of Education to take leadership in sector coordination and sector information management through a mix of on the job training, meetings and other technical support.
- Strengthen the capacity of education partners’ (inlcuding government and non-government entities) ability and readiness to respond to education needs in an emergency, to set and monitor standards, reporting and monitoring.
- Strengthen coordination and communication with education partners and establish information management system for the sector in West Darfur.
- Conduct regular visits to schools and communities in West Darfur, paying special focus on gap areas (mainly those formerly covered by NGOs expelled by the government in March 2009), and provide technical support to UNICEF staff for effective sector coordination, sector strategies and Annual Work Plan implementation.
- Assist in convening sector and cluster coordination meetings, UN Workplan related coordination and provide technical and strategic support for improved action and decision-making.
- Provide technical support in drafting of reports (weekly, monthly, situation reports, sector reports etc.) and provide necessary information to the UNICEF El Geneina education team and partners in timely manner.
- Strengthen the monitoring and reporting capacity of education staff in the sector including UNICEF education officers in West Darfur and establish systematic information collection mechanism for the UN and Partners Work Plan as well as for the UNICEF-specific programme.
- Support inter-sectoral (Water, sanitation and hygiene, health and nutrition, child protection) and inter-agency activities especially with WFP and UNCHR to provide holistic education services to conflict affected children in Darfur.
- Identify core advocacy concerns in education and contribute to the development of key messages and broader advocacy initiatives.
Expected background and experience
- Advanced university degree in social science, education and/or related fields
- At least five years of professional work experience at the national and international levels in education, sector/cluster coordination, emergency education support, social development, management, monitoring or evaluation of education programmes
- Experience in working in education sector coordination in an emergency context is an asset
- Proven ability in education programme/project management and collaboration working experience with government, NGOs etc.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, summarize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
- Good analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
- Computer skills, especially in the area of data/information collection and management, including internet navigation, Excel and various Office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Experience of working with UNCEF and knowledge of UNICEF’s mission and function is an asset
- Fluency in English and another UN language is required. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station would be an asset.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and unstable and emergency situations
This consultancy is for international candidates.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their updated CVs and UN personal history form (downloadble from this site) to email@example.com , or hand deliver to UNICEF Sudan Country Office, House 74, Street 47, Khartoum 2 no later than 2 July 2009.