UNICEF in action
UNICEF works closely with the Ministry of Health and professional bodies at national level, as well as local authorities such as Regional Directors of Health Services (RDHS), Provincial Director of Health Services (PDHS) and civil society organizations.
Main activities include:
Support to strengthen the Integrated Nutrition Package (INP) initiative to provide comprehensive interventions to overcome the problems of under nutrition and anaemia among children and women through:
• Scaling up multi sector approach to nutrition.
• Improving the capacity of health professionals to provide preventive and curative nutritional services.
• Social mobilization and community empowerment to support appropriate nutrition practices.
• Strengthening the national and sub-national capacity in evidence based planning and monitoring.
Improve the quality of Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health through:
• Improving the capacity of health professionals in essential new born care, new born life support and emergency obstetric care.
• Strengthening the expanded programme of immunisation.
• Social mobilization and community empowerment.
• Integrating Prevention of Mother To Child Transmission (PMTCT) services in the an antenatal care package and organising life-skills trainings for adolescents.
Provide an integrated spectrum of health services to returnee and host communities through:
• Building additional health infrastructures and renovating health care institutions.
• Strengthening national and sub-national capacity available to provide quality basic maternal and child health and nutrition services in resettlement areas.
• Strengthening national and sub-national capacity available to provide timely responds to the needs of women and children in a possible emergency situation.