If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF, the world’s leading organization working for the rights of children, seeks a Representative, P-5, Monrovia, Liberia.
Under general supervision by the Regional Director, the incumbent will:
• Be responsible for overall development, formulation, conception and management of UNICEF Country Programme of Cooperation (Medium to large size CO), approved by the Executive Board.
• Represent the Executive Director in all aspects of UNICEF's co-operation with the Government/Country Office. Collaborate as part of the UNCT in this regard.
• Be accountable for the formulation and management of the UNICEF Country Programme of Co-operation, as approved by the Executive Board.
• Be accountable for UNICEF's advocacy with the government and other partners for the enhancement of the survival, protection, development and participation of children and women in national development efforts.
• Be responsible for all aspects of office management of the UNICEF country office.
• Support implementation of the UNICEF supported emergency programme, ensuring that the Situation Analysis and EPRP are regularly updated.
• Participate in organizational and institutional initiatives to strengthen UN Coherence. Ensure that joint programming (including joint programmes) and common services are achieved to the extent possible.
• Provide policy support, guidance and advocacy on the development and establishment of common services arrangements agreed to by participating organizations/agencies at the country level. To ensure that these joint operational arrangements, assist UNICEF in its objective to provide efficient and economical support services to the implementation of the country programme.
• Provides policy support, guidance and advocacy as required in emergency situations and other humanitarian programme implementation. Collaborate as part of the UNCT in this regard.
• Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines.
• Ten years of relevant professional work experience. Experience in programme/ projects management and building strategic alliances and partnerships/resource mobilization.
• International and Developing country work experience and field work experience.
• Background/familiarity with Emergency.
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• Integration and synthesis of various programme activities in accordance with professional practices and UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
• Expert knowledge of advanced concepts in primary discipline, with a broad knowledge of related disciplines, in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures.
• Building strategic alliances and partnerships/Resource mobilization: leverages the larger resources of national governments and other development partners.
• Fluency in English. Another UN language an asset.
Nine years after the end of the civil war, Liberia is still consolidating peace and Governance. Despite the government's commitment, up to 64% of the Liberians live below the National poverty line. Liberia under-five and maternal mortality remain high and health care delivery remains very inadequate.
UNICEF is a key partner to the Government in Liberia in the social service sector. Along with other UN Agencies UNICEF has been working on MDGs 2 to 7 with a particular focus on MDGs 2, 3 and 4.
• Fluency in English.
• Previous experience as a Country Representative, with a strong policy and advocacy record with the host government, member states, and the UN system.
• Very strong management and people skills.
• Capacity to manage/strategize and build capacity of UNICEF staff, with sound professional knowledge of UNICEF issues/priorities and excellent team building skills.
• Very strong understanding of programme development in a post emergency setting,
• Willingness to work in a dangerous environment with a focus on significant programme delivery and leveraging while ensuring the safety and security of national and international staff.
• Capacity to work in a team and in close relationship with the UNCT and the evolving Integrated UN Mission.
• Ability to establish and maintain high level contacts with the country's decision and policy-makers, including the head of state, as well as with representatives of donors, and other external aid agencies present in the country.
This is a vacancy in UNICEF’s Senior Staff Rotation and Reassignment Exercise (SSRRE 2013). Applicants are invited to express a maximum of five post choices, listed in ranking order of preference within this exercise. For staff within the UN system, please note that at least three of the posts applied to should be at the applicant’s present level.
Applicants are requested to submit a P. 11 form, CV and ONE cover letter for all positions applied to (please note positions and ranking order of choice in cover letter). Please send your application to email@example.com by 23 November 2012.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.