Media Kidocracy Konfrence 2007
Danny K, UNICEF celebrity advocate celebrates the opening of the UNICEF/Bush Radio Kidocracy Konfrence on Robben Island.
5 to 10 December: Robben Island, Cape Town.
Celebrating the 18th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) and the international Children’s day of broadcasting.
Media Kidocracy invites children to interact with a range of social issues that affect them. The Konfrence topics have been identified by the children themselves. The Konfrence is co-hosted by UNICEF and Bush Radio.
Aims of the conference
- Enable young people to critique social issues pertinent to themselves and their peers.
- Enable young people to dialogue about the use of media as a tool for advocacy and empowerment.
Objectives of the conference
- Health (circumcision and virginity testing)
- Gender (sexuality)
- Labour (child trafficking)
- Human Rights (the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child)
- Arts and Culture (Cultural identity)
- Environment (Global warming)
- Participation by celebrities (Malaika, Danny K)
- Live broadcast of the opening ceremony by Bush Radio
- Hip-Hop choreography celebrating Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Media products developed by young people