Senior Procurement Assistant: GS-7
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Pretoria is inviting applications from suitably qualified South African nationals for the post of:
SENIOR PROCUREMENT ASSISTANT: GS-7
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading child rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children's rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Guided by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, it strives to establish children's rights as enduring ethical principles and international standards of behavior and action towards children. In South Africa, UNICEF supports national efforts to realize children’s rights by promoting evidence-based policy advocacy and strategic partnerships as a means to leverage policies and resources for children, giving special attention to vulnerable children and disparity reduction. It works in the areas of health and nutrition, early childhood development; basic education; child protection and social policy, planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Duration: 2 years – with possibility of extension
PURPOSE OF POST:
Under general supervision of the Supply Specialist, the successful candidate will be responsible for all shipping and forwarding documentation and related follow-up activities.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The incumbent will:
- Receives and reviews requisitions for clarity, adequacy of specifications and completeness, confirms availability of funds, and obtains additional information considered necessary.
- Compiles lists of local and BNLS (Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho & Swaziland) sources of Procurement of services, contracts vendors for price quotations, prepares summary of bids including information on price and conditions of offer.
- For more costly procurements of services required under the procurement procedures, drafts request for proposals/invitation to Bid or requests for price quotations and related correspondence.
- Coordinate CRC (contract review committee) documentation for signature and archive documents accordingly as well as preparing and distributing files containing the cases to be presented.
- Once adjudication is done, issue contracts, compile purchase order documents for supervisor’s signature, ensures distribution of purchase document to all required offices and vendors, follow up on receipt of signed contracts and ensures obligation of funds is recorded.
- Extracts procurement information from VISION logs and templates and summarizes for use into the MTR presentations and CRC (contract review committee) reporting.
- Develops and maintains Printer supplier database by visiting new and old printers periodically and update the printer database on suitability and assist with printer evaluation in BNLS (Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho & Swaziland) countries.
- Maintains the UNICEF South Africa Supply website in coordination with the website designer to facilitate tender and vendor application postings and advertisements.
- Process and review the monthly forecast for payment of goods and services for SACO (South Africa Country Office and BNLS (Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho & Swaziland) countries.
- Maintains manual and automated procurement files and records; to provide purchase information to receiving offices.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Chief of Supply & Procurement.
The ideal profile of the successful candidate will include:
- Completion of secondary education (Grade 12) or equivalent, supplemented by courses in purchasing methods, contracting and/or accounting
- 5 years of progressively responsible clerical or administrative work, with experience in purchasing a variety of materials and services
- Experience with computer database and SAP system is a requirement
- Strong follow-up and monitoring skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work independently
- Ability and willingness to work in a multi-cultural environment
Sharing UNICEF Core Values of:
• Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
Proficiency in UNICEF Core Competencies of:
• Communication • Working with People • Drive for Results
Application letter, along with CV and attached P11 Form should be send on or before 12 JULY 2013 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Procurement Assistant, GS-7”.
Only South African nationals will be considered. If you have not been contacted within one month of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. Regret letters will only be sent to interviewed candidates.
UNICEF IS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT.
UNICEF IS COMMITTED TO GENDER BALANCE AND DIVERSITY WITHOUT DISTINCTION AS TO RACE, SEX OR RELIGION, AND WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES. WELL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.