Program Assistant (Nutrition Monitoring)
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT REF: HARSOM/2013/005
Title: Program Assistant (Nutrition Monitoring)
Category and Grade Level: General Service (GS-6)
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Length Of Contract: One year
Organization Unit: Nutrition
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Date of Issue: 30 September, 2013
Closing date of Application: 13 October, 2013
If you are qualified Somali and looking for a chance to make a real difference in the lives of vulnerable Somali children while gaining opportunities for career growth, you are invited to apply for the post of Programme Assistant (Nutrition Monitoring) with UNICEF Hargeisa Office, to be based in Hargeisa with frequent travels to project locations around Somaliland.
The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic and passionate team in Somaliland that works together to improve the health, Nutrition, Child protection, Water, Sanitation, Hygiene, and Basic Education of Somali girls and boys and protect them from violence, exploitation and abuse.
Purpose of the Post
Under the guidance and supervision of the Nutrition Specialist, performs a variety of information gathering, monitoring, technical and administrative services of moderate scope and difficulty in support of nutrition program activities.
The successful candidate will be offered a Fixed Term Appointment for one year. Further extensions will be based on organizational needs, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Carry out planning for monitoring and supervision of project implementation based on analysis of data and prepares and submits reports on the progress.
- Undertake field visits to provide supportive supervision and monitor implementation of nutrition programme activities by government and partners and share field visit reports with highlighted corrective action on a regular basis for quality service delivery.
- In collaboration with the nutrition team support government and partners in training health and nutrition staff and or community workers in key areas of nutrition programming, and ensures logistics, administrative and technical assistance to all UNICEF-supported nutrition training workshops.
- Support the nutrition team in collecting, collating and organizing (electronic and hard copies) nutrition information/statistics on a regular basis from government and partner records and reports and contributes to maintenance of accurate, complete and up-to-date information for nutrition programme planning and emergency preparedness and response.
- Contributes to maintenance of regular coordination of nutrition programme activities and responses in Somaliland by preparing back ground information for use in discussions with government and other partners, maintaining a record and sharing of all coordination meeting minutes, agenda and action points , and assists in follow up of recommendations and agreements
- As part of the nutrition team assist in preparation of distribution plans to ensure that government and partners have adequate supplies for both regular programme implementation and emergency response as well as monitor correct utilization by partners.
- In close collaboration with Accelerated Child Survival and Development (ACSD) team, assist Government and partners in the overall integration of the Basic Nutrition Services Package (BNSP) components with health, WASH actions for maximum impact of nutrition programme response.
- Carry out specific administrative operational/control for project/programme activities, including following up of liquidation of implemented projects, preparation of release orders, and processing of partners request for assistance as necessary.
- Perform other duties as required by supervisor to ensure smooth implementation of the programme.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible administrative work of which at least one year is closely related to project and program activities. Some (1-2 years) of professional work experience in nutrition and community based activities, experience of work in Somaliland is an asset.
- Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses in a relevant field (Public Health, Nursing, Nutrition, statistics, data management).
- Proficiency in computer applications (word processing, spreadsheets, graphics).
- Ability to analyze figures and technical data.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work is required.
- Skills in report writing and presentation skills will be needed.
- Possession of excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Proficiency in written and oral English and Somali languages is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Core Values (Required):
Diversity and Inclusion
- Core Competencies (Required):
Working with People
Drive for Results
- Functional Competencies (Required):
Applying Technical Expertise
Following instructions and Procedures
Planning and Organizing
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications with updated UN Personal History Form (P.11), updated CV, copies of academic certificates to one of the following addresses. UN staff are requested to provide at least two Performance Evaluation Reports (PERs). Please quote the vacancy number in your application.
Human Resources Officer
Vacancy No HARSOM/2013/005
Or email to: email@example.com
Please note that documents submitted along with your applications will not be returned. Ensure you send copies of your testimonials.
Download the Vancancy Announcement [PDF]
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
UNICEF IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT