© UNICEF Pacific/2013/Molendijk
School students from the Fiji Islands on their way home after school
Compile digital resources on literacy and numeracy teaching for primary teachers in Solomon Islands
The UNICEF Pacific office is looking to engage a consultant under the guidance of the Chief of Education in Suva and in close collaboration with the Education team and counterparts from MEHRD to perform the following functions:
- Carry out a scoping and mapping exercise of current literacy and numeracy teaching resources available for Solomon Islands primary teachers and assess their appropriateness for inclusion in the digital resource.
- Identify regional and global materials (e.g., OER) that can be downloaded into the external drive (with a backup on DropBox)
- In consultation with MEHRD, teachers and UNICEF develop a content standard to guide the curation and gathering of content, and agree on materials for initial phase based on these criteria
- Download all approved materials in the master external drive, and categorise each by subject and grade (suitable for Year 1, or 2, etc.), including tags and other meta-data to help organize and sort the content in the future
- Develop an instructional pamphlet outlining to teachers on how to use the materials and options available.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIALISED KNOWLEDGE/COMPETENCE REQUIRED
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
REMUNERATION AND TYPE OF CONTRACT:
- Advance university degree in Education or related sciences with specialization in ICT
- 5 years’ experience in handling ICT aspects of an implementation project, with broad knowledge of the ICT sector and its role in development
- Relevant experience in pedagogy and course development;
- Experience of managing / implementing ICT projects in education sector
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, and experience working with a variety of stakeholders, including senior government officials, policy-makers, and regulators, private sector representatives, consultants and academics;
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Software, or their equivalent (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.);
- Fluency in written and spoken English required, familiarity with local language (an asset
- Competencies on Good organizational, negotiating, and advocacy skills;
- The consultant will be required to work on a Purchase Order (PO) contract with UNICEF Pacific for a period of 25 working days of which 15 days will be required in-country and 10 days from home base
- The consultant will be based in the UNICEF Solomon Islands office in Honiara and is required to bring his/her own laptop
- He/she is entitled to organize one round trip from his/her home base to Solomon islands on the most direct and economical route and will be reimbursed upon submission of receipt
- Internal travel within Solomon Islands will be arranged by UNICEF with no additional per diem
Interested applicants are to include the following documents in the submission:
Candidates failing to submit the above completed application documents will not be considered.
Applications must be submitted via email no later than 10 July 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org under confidential cover to:
Human Resource Specialist
(Consultancy 2015-019 Digital Resources for Solomon Islands)
UNICEF Pacific, Suva, FIJI
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all nationals, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.