HIV and AIDS
© UNICEF Pacific/2006
HIV and AIDS
The HIV and AIDS programme works to reduce vulnerability to and impact of HIV and AIDS among the most 'at risk' populations in Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu as well as Fiji and Tuvalu, with a special focus on children and women. The programme works in partnership with national, regional, international and non-governemental organisations to combat HIV and AIDS.
The programmes focus is on:
• Behaviour development/change communication
• Capacity development through training to traditional, religious and women leaders, local government representatives, teachers and health care workers.
• Strengthening the health care system response to HIV
• Most at risk populations engage in HIV-risk reduction behaviours
• HIV prevention, care and support id facilitated, implemented and monitored by traditional, religious and women leaders, local government representatives, teachers and health care workers in selected areas.
• Ante-Natal Care women and their partner in selected areas have access to and use quality Voluntary and Confidential Counselling and Testing.
• HIV positive children, women and their families in selected areas have access to and are benefiting from quality Prevention of Mother To Child Transmission interventions.