Media centre

Press Releases

Fact Sheets

Stories in print

Photo essays

Audio stories

Videos

Public service announcements

 

Nigeria: The European Union and UNICEF sign agreement for €31 million (Naira 6.5 billion) for Water Supply and Sanitation Programme in six States

© UNICEF Nigeria/2012/Bishen
EU Ambassador to Nigeria, Dr. David MacRae and UNICEF Nigeria Representative Dr. Suomi Sakai hold up the signed contribution agreement.

Abuja, 29 June 2012 – This morning in Abuja, EU Ambassador to Nigeria, Dr. David MacRae and UNICEF Nigeria Representative Dr. Suomi Sakai signed a five-year contribution agreement for a Rural Water and Sanitation Programme worth €31 million (about Naira 6.5 billion).

‘The EU-UNICEF WASH partnership is one the best partnerships in our portfolio, and I look forward to building on very real and tangible results in this sector’, said EU Ambassador Dr. MacRae at the signing which took place at the EU offices in Abuja.

Reaffirming the EU position, UNICEF’s Dr. Sakai said ‘UNICEF is honoured to be a partner of choice and this grant will translate into significant improvements in the health and well-being of thousands of Nigerian families’.

The programme aims to deepen the gains made in improving access to improved drinking water supply and proper sanitation and hygiene in 1000 rural communities in 39 LGAs - Local Government Areas – in the six states of Anambra, Cross River, Jigawa, Kano, Osun and Yobe during the first phase of the Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Programme, covering 2005-2011.

More than two million rural women and children in the six states are expected to benefit directly from the new grant.

The Rural Water Supply and Sanitation programme is part of a larger EU-funded water and sanitation programme totaling €80 million which was signed on June 27 between the EU and the Honourable Minister of National Planning, Mr. Shamsuddeen Usman. This umbrella programme will support good governance in the water sector, within the Federal Ministry of Water Resources as well as in the six states. It will also provide water supply and sanitation and hygiene facilities in towns – urban and peri-urban – as well as rural communities.

The programme will support state governments to develop and implement needed reforms in the water and sanitation sector while also providing funds to state governments to construct water supply and sanitation facilities in rural communities and schools. EU support will cover 70% of total investment for construction and rehabilitation of water supply facilities. State Governments, Local Governments, and beneficiary communities will cover the remaining 30%, in line with the cost-sharing arrangements of the national water supply and sanitation policy.

The rural component of the programme will be implemented by UNICEF in collaboration with the six state governments.

 

 
Search:

 Email this article

unite for children