|© UNICEF/HQ03-0263/Robert Bailey|
|Marta Santos Pais|
Marta Santos Pais took up her post as Director of the UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre in July 2001. She brings to the Centre almost thirty years of experience in human rights law, including her role in the drafting of the 1989 Convention on the Rights of the Child and, more recently, its two Optional Protocols. Santos Pais has helped to draft a number of other international human rights standards, including:
• The Declaration on the Right and Responsibility of Individuals, Groups and Organs of Society to Promote and Protect Universally Recognized Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms;
• The Declaration on the Rights of Persons Belonging to National or Ethnic, Religious and Linguistic Minorities;
• Protocol aiming at the abolition of the death penalty;
• Declaration on the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearances;
• Statute of the International Criminal Court
• She was a Special Adviser to the Machel Study on the Impact of Armed Conflict on Children.
Prior to joining UNICEF IRC, Marta Santos Pais was Rapporteur of the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child and, from 1997, Director of UNICEF’s Division of Evaluation, Policy and Planning.
IMAGE RELEASE - CREDIT: © UNICEF HQ03-0264 This photograph is available for use by bona fide news media organizations as part of reports or feature stories on UNICEF. Release permission is hereby granted for this purpose on the following conditions: - - Image content may not be changed by digital or any other means, except cropping. - Image may not be archived in any format or distributed to a third party by any non-UNICEF entity. No other rights than those specified are either granted or implied. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN UNICEF.