Why mothers die
1. Haemorrhage is excessive bleeding or an abnormal blood flow
2. Obstructed labour occurs when the fetus cannot pass through the birth canal. It is most common among young girls whose bodies are not yet mature and women whose pelvises are underdeveloped due to malnutrition.
3. Unsafe abortion is the termination of an unwanted pregnancy by a person lacking the necessary skills or in an unsanitary environment. Every year, an estimated 20 million unsafe abortions take place
4. Sepsis is a severe infection, most common during the postpartum period.
5. Eclampsia and hypertensive disorders are blood pressure complications, which can cause convulsions and even death for pregnant women before, during, or after birth.
Gender discrimination and lack of education can be just as deadly as medical complications. A woman who is informed about her medical and family planning options, and who has the ability to make her own decisions, is better able to protect her own health, and that of her family.