Consultancy - Coordination and follow-up on global initiatives and support to education- and ECD-related communication, fundraising, capacity development, regional strategies/ documents and ad hoc research
THE UNITED NATIONS CHILDREN’S FUND (UNICEF)
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CONSULTANCY
BACKGROUND AND JUSTIFICATION:
There are multiple overlapping global initiatives related to education, such as the Education First Initiative of the Secretary General, the Learning Matrix, the GRA Proposal on education, and the global evaluation of upstream work in education as well as the implementation of the Monitoring Results for Equity System (MoRES) in all country offices that will require follow-up over the course of 2013. Moreover, additional resources are required to ensure that the regional office can continue to provide high quality support to ECD-related programming in Latin America and the Caribbean.
To meet these workload demands, the TACRO Education/ECD Unit is seeking the support of a consultant with relevant experience who can provide high quality services related to HQ-RO-CO coordination as well as education- and ECD-related fundraising, communication and capacity development. The consultant will also help develop related regional strategies and other documents as well as conduct ad hoc research on key issues.
The objective of this consultancy is to support the Education/ECD Unit of TACRO in its role of providing technical assistance, quality assurance, oversight and strategic representation to country offices in the LAC region by providing the following services:
1. coordinate among COs-RO-HQ in relation to the Education First Initiative of the UN Secretary General, the Learning Matrix of the Brookings Institute, the GRA Proposal - the Initiative for Teachers for the Marginalized, the global evaluation of upstream work on education and follow-up with LAC countries involved in each of them;
2. support to on-going education-related fundraising and communications, including the finalization of a fundraising toolkit for the Amazon region and any related updates and consolidated reports, the production of the quarterly regional ECD/Education newsletters and the provision of periodic inputs to the education-related newsletter published by UNICEF HQ, in coordination with COs;
3. organize related webinars for each sub-region on specific topics and prepare minutes;
4. complete the regional strategy on ECD for 2014-2017; and
5. conduct ad hoc research on specific topics related to the key issues in the region, such as adolescent drop-out, measurement of national learning achievements as well as on topics connected to planned studies from the session work plan
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The consultant will be responsible for the following:
· Provide follow-up/ coordination services on behalf of the regional office in relation to four global education-related initiatives (Education First, the Learning Matrix, the GRA Proposal – the Initiative for Teachers for the Marginalized, and the global evaluation of upstream work in education) as well as the roll-out of MoRES in education programming in LAC. Coordination will be between both the regional office and the country offices as well as between the regional office and Headquarters, as required.
· Keep abreast of the requirements of these initiatives, including any changes and/or additional guidance.
2. Support fundraising and communications:
· Finalize the education-related fundraising toolkit on the Amazon, incorporating additional feedback from participating country offices and managing the submission process with regional and global PFP counterparts.
· Update the Education and Amazon Toolkits and write related consolidated reports, if required.
· Compile, write and edit four regional education/ECD newsletters.
· Provide periodic inputs for the education-related newsletter to be produced by UNICEF Headquarters, compiling also information from COs.
· Prepare and/or edit documents to be submitted by the regional office to UNICEF Headquarters.
3. Contribute to capacity development:
· Organize a minimum of two education-related webinars for each sub-region (Central America, southern cone, Andes, and the Caribbean) based on country office suggestions.
4. Support regional office services related to ECD:
· In collaboration with the regional education advisor, finalize the regional strategy on ECD for 2014-2017.
· Support regional office ECD-related services from May 2013 to December 2013. Deadline: on-going.
5. Conduct research:
· Research key and emerging issues in education and ECD, as required, including in relation to adolescent drop-out, the measurement of national learning achievements and supplementary research to support the completion of studies planned for 2013 as described in the work plan.
EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND PRODUCTS
· On-going follow-up regarding: Education First, the Learning Matrix, the GRA Proposal – the Initiative for Teachers for the Marginalized, and the global evaluation of upstream work in education as well as the roll-out of MoRES in education programming in LAC.
· Finalized Amazon Toolkit.
· Updates to the Education and Amazon Toolkits and any consolidated reports, if required.
· Four regional education/ECD newsletters.
· Periodic inputs to the education-related newsletter produced by UNICEF Headquarters
· On-going document preparation/ editing in relation to documents submitted by the regional office to UNICEF Headquarters on education and ECD
· Eight education-related webinars (two for each sub-region: Central America, southern cone, Andes, and the Caribbean).
· Finalized regional strategy on ECD for 2014-2017.
· On-going support to the ECD area from May 2013 to December 2013, as required.
· Summarized research on key issues, as required.
THE PROFILE SOUGHT
The candidate will have at least one year of experience in TACRO-related education and ECD strategies and services, including those related to fundraising and the implementation of MoRES.
EXPERIENCE IN EDITING UNICEF DOCUMENTS
· Master’s degree in Social Science, or any related field.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Strong inter-personal skills.
· Ability to work with little supervision.
Fluency required in English and Spanish (oral and written)
The consultant will be supervised by the regional education advisor.
If travel is required, it will be reimbursed according to standing UNICEF guidance on the subject.
ESTIMATED DURATION OF THE CONTRACT AND PROPOSAL
May 6, 2013 to December 15, 2013.
CONSULTANT’S WORK PLACE
The consultant will work primarily from the regional office.
HONORARIA & FEES
The consultant will be paid on a monthly basis subject to the submission of a signed invoice to be provided at the end of each month. Applicants are requested to submit an economic proposal for the consultancy.