Health and Nutrition
- Among countries in the MENA region, Iraq has made the least progress in reducing its under-5 mortality rate since 1990.
- The under-5 mortality rate in Iraq is 37 deaths per 1,000 live births.
- Every year around 35,000 children will die before their first birthday.
- Acute respiratory infections and diarrhoea are the two biggest killer diseases of children.
- 1 in 4 children suffer from stunted growth due to chronic malnutrition.
- 9 in 10 pregnant women receive the assistance of a skilled attendant during birth delivery.