HIV/AIDS in Iran
Based on the most recent data published by the Center for Disease Control, Ministry of Health and Medical Education (22 June 2006):
- Adolescents constitute nearly 27% of the Iranian population or about 18 million people.
- Total number of infected cases: 13,357
- Estimated number of HIV/AIDS cases: 30, 000 (2004)
- Recorded cases: 94.5%, men; 5.5%, women
- Age group with the highest number of HIV cases: 25-34; 40.1% of all cases.
HIV cases by age group:
Routes of transmission:
- The cumulative number of death cases to 22 June 2006: 1, 624
- 65 VCT-Care Centers (Triangular Clinics) and 27 VCT Centers established by the Ministry of Health.
- 48 VCT Centers established by Prison Organization
- 29 VCT Centers established by Red Crescent
- 220 Methadone Centers under supervision of Ministry Of Health
- Antiretroviral treatment is provided through all VCT-Care Centers
- The prevalence of HIV among the general population is 2/100000
- The prevalence of HIV among blood donors is 77/1,600,000 (Data from Blood Transfusion Organization)
- The prevalence of syphilis among pregnant women is 85/100,000
- The prevalence of HIV among Injecting Drug Users is up to 8550/200,000